AJAX support in base MWPSK

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Feb 19, 2007 at 8:19 AM
Hello,

has any decision been taken about supporting Microsoft AJAX framework? The problem is not about sections, which could be developed or not by using Ajax. I believe the problem is about dependencies which need to be added to base MWPSK and changes to be made to web.config. Those would make MWPSK break on un-extended servers, I guess, since installing AJAX framework is a task system admins need to do.

So do you think the kit will include AJAX support? Or maybe it would be more pratical to have 2 versions: a standard one and an extended one with AJAX support?

Thank you for any info about this ;-)
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2007 at 3:46 PM
Hi,

First of all it is important to note that there are no decisions made regarding the features of a v2.x MWPSK. We are still reading all the proposals and issues and will at some point in the future do the evaluation of what we really add into MWPSK.

AJAX support is actually a very interesting area in order to create a better user interface. At the moment I’m just investigating what it means when you want to deploy a ASP.NET application to a server where the AJAX kit is not installed. Does it make sense to put the assemblies simply into the app specific bin folder?

And then we would need to think about how much more complicated it is to add the AJAX controls? Would it make sense to insert it into the core MWPSK download or publish some sections as additional sections only? (At the moment we are working on a WPF/E example for the gallery, which should become an example – not a component of the core download).

Urs
Feb 20, 2007 at 4:41 PM
Hello ursmuller,

actually, you cannot deploy an AJAX-enabled project to standard .NET 2.0 installation. Admins need to installa AJAX support, configured as assemblied inside GAC. So you cannot simply put DLLs in your bin folder, unfortunately and that's why I was making some speculation about having 2 versions.

When support has been enabled on server side, an application can work as usual without caring about it so sections could still work without changes in both versions. For AJAX-enabled sections, things are different because before using AJAX you need to insert a ScriptManager control. This could be inserted into a section or could be injected by MWPSK in every page, before any other control. I don't know if there can be 2 ScriptManager controls in a page... didn't check that. If not, MWPSK should inject that before any other control.

Apart of this basic problem, an AJAX-enabled section could work as any other section would. I'm currently making some test with MWPSK 1.1.1 and it works like a charm. I don't think there should be problems in developing AJAX sections but you should just decide how to handle those basic problems.
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2007 at 3:24 PM
Hi,

Ok, thanks for clarification. In this case we will perhaps publish some example sections with AJAX. But not insert AJAX into the core ZIP file in order to be prepared with an average server setup in a shared hosting environment.

If you have a running example I will be happy to put it into our examples page.

Urs
Feb 28, 2007 at 4:24 AM
Actually, Atlas can be installed as DLLs in the bin directory. I have done this on GoDaddy in order to use Atlas on a site based on the club website starter kit (enhanced a great deal). GoDaddy does not install or support Atlas at this time, yet I have had no issues getting this to work.

As far as I know, you can only have one scriptmanager control per page, so it's probably best to place it in the master page
Feb 28, 2007 at 8:50 AM
Hello ryanhirschey,

as far as I know, if you want to run your application by using medium-trust level, you should place AJAX in the GAC. I might be wrong. Of course, that doesn't apply for Full-Trust.

Anyway, placing the ScriptManager inside Master Page is a nice suggestion. You're right: no need to inject this if you can place it inside your master page. Nice trick!
Mar 1, 2007 at 2:45 AM
Hi, TBPrince,

GoDaddy is a medium-trust hoster. They don't for example, support the ReportViewer Control, since that cannot run under medium trust. I do want to share that I am using the final beta of Atlas in my /bin and not the ASP.net AJAX extensions or whatever they are being called now. I don't know if that makes a difference.

My understanding of GAC is that you would use this if you want the share assemblies across apps on a given web server. Since the Atlas extensions aren't installed in this manner on GoDaddy, however, I installed them locally to my /bin and referenced it in web.config. It works well. The Atlas functionality I'm using works under medium trust, although I'm not sure if all Atlas controls run under that.

If you go to www.harvardclubli.com, you can see a simple example on the home page (the collapsible lists). Inside the restricted portions, I also use Atlas as part of a photo gallery I built. I have some updatepanels that eliminate screen flicker when clicking on thumbnail images to load pictures. I'd be happy to send the code if you're interested in looking at it.

Hope this helps.
Mar 12, 2007 at 5:42 PM
hi ryanhirschey. It makes a difference if you are using Atlas or the asp.net ajax.
In Atlas you could put the dll in the bin and everything would work just fine.
The same is not true for asp.net Ajax.
Besides that asp.net ajax is supposed to be more stable then Atlas.
Mar 15, 2007 at 12:19 AM

ryanhirschey wrote:
Hi, TBPrince,

GoDaddy is a medium-trust hoster. They don't for example, support the ReportViewer Control, since that cannot run under medium trust. I do want to share that I am using the final beta of Atlas in my /bin and not the ASP.net AJAX extensions or whatever they are being called now. I don't know if that makes a difference.

My understanding of GAC is that you would use this if you want the share assemblies across apps on a given web server. Since the Atlas extensions aren't installed in this manner on GoDaddy, however, I installed them locally to my /bin and referenced it in web.config. It works well. The Atlas functionality I'm using works under medium trust, although I'm not sure if all Atlas controls run under that.

If you go to www.harvardclubli.com, you can see a simple example on the home page (the collapsible lists). Inside the restricted portions, I also use Atlas as part of a photo gallery I built. I have some updatepanels that eliminate screen flicker when clicking on thumbnail images to load pictures. I'd be happy to send the code if you're interested in looking at it.

Hope this helps.

I'm pretty sure rodiniz is right. Never plaied with Atlas so I cannot tell for sure but I'm 99.99% sure that AJAX v1.0 cannot be added as library. Your website is a nice implementation. I will have a basic AJAX section ready in a a week so I will be able to post it for testing purposes. According to what I see, there are a few problems in using some of the AJAX controls but I'm not sure if that's because of MWPSK or section standard design.