How to add extra menu near the LOGIN/SEARCH?

Topics: Developer Forum, Localization Forum
Aug 19, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Hi,

I want to add extra menu near the top of page, LOGIN/SEARCH area. But I cannot find these menu in the code. I found one website based on MWPSK as listed in this MWPSK website, http://www.communicationsbienvivre.com/.  In this webpage, There are menu on the top near to SEARCH menu and delete LOGIN menu. I want to do like this but I don't know how to do. Because I am a new web developer. I do not know about ASP.NET coding, yet.

Anyway, I want to do multilanguage as http://www.communicationsbienvivre.com/ website also. But they use java script to manage. Could anyone help me about this point also?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:53 AM

You will want to copy your Theme to a new Folder   I copied  App_Themes\BusinessBlack  to App_Themes\MySiteName

Once you do that you can Edit your Skin.skin file and any .css files you need to.  That should at least get you started.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:49 AM

This website doesn't use javascript to accomplish the Multilanguage support.

In this case, It is done the more simple and primitive way, which is creating TWO folders that contain the website.
Like this

ServerRoot/fr/ --> One instance of mwpsk

ServerRoot/en/ --> One instance of mwpsk

This way you have two websites, one for every language.

To accomplish this with one instance of a mwpsk website,
that requires much more programming and understanding of the ASP.NET life cycle.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Thanks namoguy and YAT.

For namoguy, I understand your answer but I don't know how to add the new menu item beside LOGIN SEARCH menu. And there is no this part in theme generator.

For YAT, I understand that website do 2 different folders. However, they use a set of code to change /fr/ to /en/ because I check by viewing page, access by browser menu. Because I am a very new to ASP.NET.

Thank you very much again for both. I will try to do as you suggested.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Well in your Skin file you have a section for head.

<font size="2" color="#0000ff"><font size="2" color="#0000ff">

<

</font></font><font size="2" color="#0000ff">

</font>

div id="head"> 
      <div id="websiteTitle"><cc1:WebSiteTitle ID="WebSiteTitle1" runat="server"></cc1:WebSiteTitle></div> 

<div id="websiteTitleShadow"><cc1:WebSiteTitle ID="WebSiteTitle2" runat="server"></cc1:WebSiteTitle></div> 

<div id="utilities"><cc1:LoginStatus runat="Server" id="LoginStatus1" />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<cc1:SearchLink runat="Server" id="SearchLink1" /></div> 

</div>

Using the reference you did for the print trick you could add a new div tag like I did below.  Then you just have to change you css file to have a reference to PrintTrick or what ever ID you use. <font size="2" color="#0000ff"><font size="2" color="#0000ff">

<

</font></font><font size="2" color="#0000ff">

</font>

div id="head"> 
      <div id="websiteTitle"><cc1:WebSiteTitle ID="WebSiteTitle1" runat="server"></cc1:WebSiteTitle></div> 

<div id="websiteTitleShadow"><cc1:WebSiteTitle ID="WebSiteTitle2" runat="server"></cc1:WebSiteTitle></div> 

<div id="utilities"><cc1:LoginStatus runat="Server" id="LoginStatus1" />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<cc1:SearchLink runat="Server" id="SearchLink1" /></div> 

<div id="PrintTrick"><a href="#" onclick="alert('For a more accurate printing rendering, select the option <Print background colors and images> of your browser.')")>Printing trick</a></div>
</div>

Sorry I didn't have to to get into the changing language option but you you should be able to use this example and build off it, as YAT said you need much more .net understanding before you get to deep into ways to do that. There are alot of good free resources on line.  

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Thanks namoguy.

Yes, I am new for ASP.NET. I will learn ASP.NET coding and then try to do as I want.

However, all suggestions is good for me.