Upcoming MWPSK features

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Coordinator
May 27, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I thought that it might be interesting to you to hear how development of the new MWPSK version is going :-)

We're getting closer to our first beta version of MWPSK 1.3 and we're also currently lining up the MWPSK Contrib project that will be the feature home of additional community build modules, tools and files.

To get you some facts... MWPSK 1.3 has the following feature spec:

Theme Updates
- Modified css Files for asp:Menu compatibility with IE8
- Updated the PopCalendar to the newest version (IE8 compatible)

Editor Replacement
- Replaced the FCK Editor with FreeTextBox (www.freetextbox.com)
- Moved the Html-Editor code to a separate control (/SectionControls/HtmlEditor.ascx)

New RSS Display Section
- Added a new section to display RSS Feeds
- Uses ASP.NET RSS Toolkit (http://aspnetrsstoolkit.codeplex.com/)

New Twitter Section
- Added a new section to display Twitter status updates for a user
- Sidebar support
- Rendering through xsl templates (located in /TwitterStatusFeedTemplates)

Implementation of the Metaweblog API
- It is now possible to publish Blogposts from Windows Live Writer
- Each blog module can be addressed individually

Updated Theme Generator
- Replaced the Cassini-Subproject with the executable version from the Cassini++ project (http://cassinipp.codeplex.com/)
- Upgraded the theme templates to IE8 compatibility

And for all those of you who asked for forum implementation:

It is very likely that this might be checked in as the first mwpsk contrib project!
So far it looks very good.

I promise to keep you posted once we're ready to post bits :-)

Best!
Dirk

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:11 AM

What's the reason for the FCK Editor replacement with FreeTextBox?
I prefer the much more advanced FCK Editor.

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2009 at 9:09 AM
Edited Jun 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM

FreeTextBox is a single assembly with all the resources embedded. It's therefore more lightweight (amount of files) and much easier to upgrade when newer versions come out. What exactly do you like more with FCK Editor?

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Some years ago I started using FreeTextBox and then discovered FCK Editor.
End users say FCK Editor is much more user friendly.
As a developer I have more flexibility to shape some elements within the FCK Editor. For instance the default templates, fonts, colors.
Using that I always try to protect my complete site identity/design from becomming wild life when you let the end user do "their thing".

When prefering FreeTextBox as the default editor, can you please make it easy for me to change this at a central place?

Thanx, Geert

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:30 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I downloaded the 1.3 Beta version and looked at the new freetextbox editor and I have to say that the inserting of an image in edit mode of an HTML section is much more user friendly thru the PCK Editor in version 1.2.  In the beta version you only get a pop-up box asking for the URL of the image.  In the current version you have the ability to upload an image to the server and insert it into your HTML Section by browsing for the file.  It that ability going to be available in the new version?

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:29 AM

When you make a feature comparison between FreeTextBox and FCK Editor, the choise isn't hard.

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2009 at 1:04 PM
Edited Jun 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Hi pgkdave

Inserting images from the gallery is available in FTB as well (the button visual is a bit confusing, I agree):

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:42 PM
Thanks for the Info, I tried it and it works. I can see this being very confussing for end users so it should be documented in the user guides when your release this update.

--- On Thu, 6/18/09, MRAatFC <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: Upcoming MWPSK features [MyWebPagesStarterKit:57598]
To: [email removed]
Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 8:04 AM

Hi pgkdave
Inserting images from the gallery is available in FTB as well (the button visual is a bit confusing, I agree):
[image:ftb.jpg]
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MyWebPagesStarterKit@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email MyWebPagesStarterKit@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Jul 10, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Whats the E.T.A on the new release or a beta I can play with ?

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2009 at 1:25 PM

The beta is out already -> http://mywebpagesstarterkit.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=28596 
Feel free to try everything out :-)

For preparations of the final release, we will publish the resource-files for translations by the community and update all the documentation bits. I can't give you an exact date, but we hope to release by the end of august latest...

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Hello again MRAatFC..

I noticed the buttons of the 4rth bar of tools changed. When i tried the HTML editor i saw a button for edit a table. Now i can't see it and looks like the picture posted here. I found that "problem" is related to a license of FreeTextBox. Reviewing the license.lic file i found this line:

FreeTextBoxControls.FreeTextBox, FreeTextBox, Version=3.1.1.31029, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5962a4e684a48b87

..but, the dll file says to be 3.2.....

And what happens if a have another third party component with license.lic file ?.... (I have one).

Anny suggestion??

Best Regards

Alex Segovia M.

Aug 4, 2009 at 10:23 AM

confused setting up livewriter I've set the weblog format, now I Get a box that says (server)/(script) now I am not sure what the script called here is can anyone point me in the right direction, other than that the beta looks great