This project is read-only.

Web.Config permissions failure (Internal server error)

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM

('m a new user).
I've loaded 1.2.2 and compiled it successfully. I've also started it in IIS, but when browsing (http://localhost) it returns HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error. Error code 0x8007005 "Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions".

Advice is given on how to correct this (by creating ....\IIS_IUSRS with read permission for the web.config file) which I've followed, but the same error message repeats.

Any advice please?

(PS this is a repeat of my post under the 1.2.2 release discussion, but it's rather hidden away there ....)

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:13 PM
Allow Windows NEXTWORK SERVICE Account (or the account under which the application pool runs) write permissions to the App_Data folder (this worke for me running W2K3R2).
Jan 14, 2009 at 1:52 PM
Thanks kph for responding.  I've tried reading up on Network Service in the Microsoft pages but am now more confused. This seems to be a fairly technical area and there doesn't seem any simple way to do what you suggest.

Would it be possible for someone to explain to me what is actually going on here and what it is that I'm trying to fix? Or to put it another way, is this something which others are likely to encounter, or is it something peculiar to own own PC set-up? (Since nothing is mentioned int he MWPSK Introduction document I'm assuming it's my PC, but not sure why this should be ...).

Apologies if I'm out of my depth here.

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:45 PM
Ok, so far. I was assuming your are talking about a deployment problem. So what is your environment?
Jan 18, 2009 at 10:29 AM
Thanks kph.  I'm following the MWPSK instruction document to get the app to run on my local browser: Internet Explorer 7. I've also tried other browsers and got the same results.
My operating system is Windows Vista.  I've not tried to run from a separate server.

Hope this is enough but let me know if more information needed.

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:59 AM

So your problem is the IIS7 configuration. The  IIS status code is: "500.19 - Data for this file is configured improperly in the metabase." (source: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318380)

I would not recommend to run MWPSK on Vista in IIS7, cause MWPSK needs to run in the root, so you cannot use virtual directories, which makes managing and debugging a bit ticky. On my Vista Ultimate I use the Development Server. To deploy the MWPSK I use the publish website function. This works perfect.

I just got my IIS7 on Vista running. There can be a lot of pitfalls. So let me know if you are still interested to work with your local IIS7.