This project is read-only.

Keep getting this error when loading up the aplication!!

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Sep 12, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Keep getting this error. Can anyone help?
Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 24: 		</compilation>
Line 25: 
Line 26: <authentication mode="Forms">Line 27: 			<forms loginUrl="Login.aspx" timeout="500000"  protection="All" name=".ASPXFORMSAUTH"/>
Line 28: 		</authentication>

Source File: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\MyWebPagesStarterKit_1.2.1\mywebpagesstarterkit_1.2.1\web.config    Line: 26
Sep 13, 2008 at 7:46 AM
Hi, this might be stating the obvious but it appears that you have not defined your server with the correct IIS information. I'm assuming that it works locally on your own computer, and that when you uploaded it to a hosting server you got your error. From my very limited experience I can tell you that I use a popular shared hosting called Godaddy (which is in the USA) and when you first setup for a new domain you are asked a series of basic questions, one is which version of IIS you want to use, the other is which version of the dot.net framework you want to use. I check the correct radio buttons for me and hit the submit button and then upload the files and it all works out of the box.

So, if I'm on the right track, you need somehow either yourself if you have access or via a support person where you host your files, to set the IIS for you, once that is done, it should work....well that's my lame theory anyway, good luck with it.

Ron
Sep 13, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Ron, thanks for your answer and will keep that in mind when I get that far on the process, but I get the error just when I try to load the kit up on my computer and I can't even begin creating my web page. Any Ideas???? Thanks againg!!!

Andy

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:01 PM
Wow, okay, try this, blow all of it away, and start again. Download a fresh 1.2.1 (it's only 18 mb), once you have it on your computer unzip it and save it in a folder. Then with Visual Studio 2008 (or something similar) open the files and then right mouse click on Default.aspx (which will be in the root directory) and then select, 'View in Browser', this should open a local copy of the Travel theme on your computer, it always has for me. If you get an error at this point, then throw yourself on the floor, you're doomed :-(

Give it a whirl again.
Ron
Sep 13, 2008 at 5:36 PM
Ron,
I guess I am doomed....keep getting the same error. Thanks for your help anyways!!!!!!!
If anybody else has any sugestions I would apreciate!!!!!!
Sep 14, 2008 at 7:00 PM
Andy,

I have had nothing but trouble with "My Web Pages Starter Kit".  The "Personal Site Starter Kit" with a database was a lot easier.   I was having the same problem as you.  This is what I did to correct my problem.  First thing you need to do is find out what .NET Framework version you are running.  This should be at the bottom of the error page.  Next, I opened the website in Visual Web Developer 2008.  Do not let it convert it to 3.5.  Go to you "Solutions Explorer" and click on the very first line in the window, which is the folder that your website should be located.  Next click on "Properties" in the "Solutions Explorer".  You should see a property window with 3 options on the left side ( References, Build, Start Options).  Click on "Build" and change the .NET Framework to the version on your server.  Click "OK".  Now you need to build the website.  Right click on the top line in the "Solutions Explorer" window.  Click "Build Web Site".  Now you should be able to upload the new build to your server. I hope this helps you.   
Sep 14, 2008 at 7:27 PM
jascb112,
Thank you for answering. Before getting your message I went to the following page: http://www.codeplex.com/MyWebPagesStarterKit/SourceControl/ListDownloadableCommits.aspx and downloades a fresh zip file that as they say "with some cleaning up of needless files" ran it and apears to be working fine.......we'll see....but thanks againg for your reply. I will keep it in mind in case I need it.