Hosting Problem - The system cannot find the file specified.

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 24, 2008 at 6:21 PM
Hi,

Firstly, I really like this kit. Its a fantastic piece of coding and I'm going to enjoy taking it apart when I get time.
My issue is happening after I've loaded my site up onto a host server. The site runs on my development box just fine. 
On the host server, all works well until the login. I cant get past the login screen. When I click the login button I get the message that the page cannot be found. I've checked and the page does exist.

Default page is ok as are any freely available menu pages. However, some images dont display and are pointing to their files using the website project name on my dev box... could this be the issue I wonder? I'll check that.
Users and groups have the necessary access permissions, but I cant seem to access my pages beyond the login.

Are there some sort of security settings on the App_data folder?
Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Is there some way of getting around this?

The offending urls look like the one below

http://www..............ie/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx%3fpg%3d5c09be04-4e14-4b78-8a32-f1fcae5694f0

Thanks,
C

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:06 PM
I have this problem with the project. The hoster would not give me the write permission to the App_Data directory. I need to use a special directory provided by the hoster called DRead. I have changed the addresses in to that folder in CustomRoleProvider.cs and CustomXmlMembershipProvider.cs files in the App_Code/Providers directory. I am not able to log in however. I only get the windows login window. The username admin and password admin does not let me log in. You can have a look at this at http://www.jackfear.net Any ideas how to solve this problem? Thank, Jan
Jul 31, 2008 at 12:27 PM
I tried moving around folders and renaming this and that, but I couldn't get it working either. Until I got it sorted I had to remove all image files (located in App_Data) and the Login facility. Everything on my site was public, and I did not want it this way. The bottom line is your app needs access to the App_Data folder and it is up to your hoster to accommodate you.
After a lot of going back and forth with my hoster I eventually sent him the below link;
Section 2 contains details that will sort everything out and the only hoster can carry out these instructions. If he refuses, change your hoster.
I hope this helps.
Aug 5, 2008 at 9:21 AM
I use a small hosting company for our site hosting and they give us the permission that we require.

I just uploaded the site and asked them to alter the permissions and they did. if you still have problems with the hosting try uk1host.co.uk

Hope this helps

Dave
Aug 5, 2008 at 10:28 AM
Hi, I live in Australia, and use a USA host called godaddy.com and they are pretty awesome, I have uploaded the files twice to two different domains and changed the permissions via their comprehensive and easy to use built in user console, I don't work or know anyone at godaddy but as far as I'm concerned they are an expert hosting solution especially for MWPSK.