Yet another fail to load on first use

Topics: User Forum
Dec 27, 2006 at 1:58 AM
One blessing of a disk crash is to start with a fresh install of EVERYTHING! XP, VWD Express, and a new download of MWPSK 1.0.3 after having problems with 1.0.1

Both .1 and .3 stopped at "log.addlogentry" in the following block of code. I wish I had written down the message as I can no longer reproduce that error after seeing it 5 times.

void Application_Error(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
MyWebPagesStarterKit.Log log = new MyWebPagesStarterKit.Log();
Exception ex = Server.GetLastError();
log.AddLogEntry(Request, ex);
log.SaveData();
}

I am running visual web dev express as localhost (no IIS). I cleared each error by shutting VWD down and reloading the website. Eventually I got to this error in the IE window:

Line 50: <providers>
Line 51: <clear/>
Line 52: <add name="CustomRoleProvider" type="MyWebPagesStarterKit.Providers.CustomRoleProvider"/>
Line 53: </providers>
Line 54: </roleManager>

Clearing that twice with shutdown - reload, I got a severely reduced page with an image of a beach on the right, two copies of the word "home" and one each of "login" and "search."

There was nothing like the quick guide led me to expect.

At this point, somebody remembers something even though I have never been invited to save any changes. Now, a shutdown-reload always results in the four-word plus image page. I have not re-booted the computer to see what happens (I would lose this).

Needless to say, I am most frustrated and about ready to can the whole enterprise.

Dan Lynch