I need to add a custom form

Topics: Developer Forum
Jun 28, 2008 at 2:05 PM
Hello all,
I went through the discussion lists and did not find anything like what I am trying to do, so here goes.

I am creating a very simple site for a client who wants to assign a single number to each unique account.  I did this for them in classic asp last years using an access database and it all worked out fine for the time being, but there were a few bugs.  Now I am attempting to use this kit and achieve the same outcome with better results.  The flow goes like this:

1.  A user comes to the site and is presented with a default page explaining the process.
  2. The user is required to Sign-Up using the Easy Control / sign up wizard combination.  This part works splendidly.
  3. Upon Sign-up the user can then log in and fill out a form with the typical information, (ie. name, email address, location, etc.)
  4. Once the user creates the account and fills in the form and presses the "Create" button (ie. submit) I need to assign them with a number.  This number (ideally) should be a 5 digit number with the first 2 digits being 09 (such as 09120, or, 09224) and being sequential in assignment, well you get the idea.
  5. Once the number is assigned, a secondary user, having the original login credentials, can come into the site, login, and make updates and changes to the location, add additional information like hotel, suite, contact information etc.
  6. The final page is a simple display page that can be accessed by anon users having the undisclosed link, which displays the Number, Hotel, Suite combination.

Thats about it in a nutshell.  Here is where I am with the site so far:

1.  A user comes to the site and is presented with a default page explaining the process. (Complete)
  2. The user is required to Sign-Up using the Easy Control / sign up wizard combination.  (Complete)
  3. Upon Sign-up the user can then log in and fill out a form with the typical information, (ie. name, email address, location, etc.) - In the process of creating the form using asp:textbox and the likes.
  4. Once the user creates the account and fills in the form and presses the "Create" button (ie. submit) I need to assign them with a number.  This number (ideally) should be a 5 digit number with the first 2 digits being 09 (such as 09120, or, 09224) and being sequential in assignment, well you get the idea.
  5. Once the number is assigned, a secondary user, having the original login credentials, can come into the site, login, and make updates and changes to the location, add additional information like hotel, suite, contact information etc.
  6. The final page is a simple display page that can be accessed by anon users having the undisclosed link, which displays the Number, Hotel, Suite combination.

Item 3. will require a way to add the form into the page rotation and tie it into the users account.
Item 4. was handled in the previous incarnation by assigning a primary key ID number to the user, and then simply pulling and displaying it in the final page.
Item 5. will have to have some fields as Non-Updateable, especially the Number.  It must remain constant and tied to the account, one number per email address.
Item 6. may be a gridview of a database or an xml/xslt combination to pull and display the appropriate fields.

Thank you all in advance, for any assistance you may give in this.  Especially in the addition of the form to the site and the displaying of the fields in the end.