Cannot add module to page

Topics: User Forum
Jun 22, 2008 at 10:02 PM
I cannot add a module to a page. I get the following error when I tried to add the Contact Form module:
The file '/SectionControls/ContactForm.ascx' does not exist.  Now if I try to open my web page by typing 'localhost' into the address bar, I get the same error.  The only way I know how to make it work is to delete the unzipped folder 'MyWebPageStarterKit 1.2.1' and unzip another copy of it and then add a new Web site in IIS 7.  I am following the instructions I downloaded from this site.  Everything works as explained in the text until I try to add a module to a page.  What can I do? Thanks, MT
Jun 23, 2008 at 12:03 AM
I must be doing this absolutely wrong.  I have gone through the process (several times) of removing the MyWebPagesStarterKit web site from IIS 7 and restarting the default IIS 7 Web page, and successfully tested it in IE 7 by entering 'localhost' in address bar.  After deleting the MyWebPages 1.2.1 folder, I unzipped another copy of it and followed the instructions again.  Still, when I get to the point where I am instructed to add a Page Module I get an error message: The file '/SectionControls/Blog.ascx' does not exist.  I was trying to add a Blog module to the Home page.  Now the web site is hosed again; I can't get the home page to open even if I reconfigure IIS 7 to the root directory again.  I have been at this for a couple days now. Hoping to find a solution soon. Thanks, MT.
Jun 23, 2008 at 4:20 AM
Discovered after several attempts to extract files to various directories that Windows Explorer crashes before files are fully extracted.  When extracting files (1,573 items, 17.9 MB) to C:\ Windows Explorer would stop with 'Items remaining: 167 (655 KB) and again with 170 (661 KB).  This might explain why the errors I've been getting state that a certain .ascx file does not exist.  Event Viewer shows several issues with an event ID of 1000.  Microsoft has no information regarding this application hang.  Specific information is:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          6/22/2008 8:18:52 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Gigabyte1
Description:
Faulting application Explorer.EXE, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47918e5d, faulting module avgcorex.dll_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x47de8cbf, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0873cb40, process id 0xa10, application start time 0x01c8d4de72302d05.

The faulting module may indicate my AVG antivirus program, so I tried to extract the files with AVG turned off, but without success.  So, it seems that I cannot proceed until I can extract the files from the zip folder successfully.  Any suggestions?
Jun 23, 2008 at 7:14 AM
Solution: I downloaded the MWPSK zip file to my XP machine and extraced the files to a USB flash drive.  Then I was able to copy the extracted folder to my directory of choice on my Vista computer and configure IIS 7.  Now I am able to add modules to the web pages as per instructions.  AVG  8 may have been the problem. The fun continues.  Thanks, MT.