Navigation and Body Link Colors

May 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM
I'm using the theme generator to create a theme for a friend of mine.  It works...ok...I've had to edit some of the CSS manually, to look like I want, but that is fine.  The issue that I've run in to though, is that I can't seem to define the Link colors of the navigation bar independently from the Link colors of the body.

I've tried adding link colors to navigation...but that is the last CSS sheet loaded so it applies to the whole site.  I tried using the #navigation element defined with in the CSS sheet to apply to link colors, but the links in the navigation menu reference classes in the header that define color and style...so they are applied.

Is there any way to change the link colors in the navigation menu to be different from those in the body?

~Kai
May 21, 2008 at 7:19 PM
Go to your  Theme.skin file under App_Theme folder. Find <div id="navigation">, under that you'll find <asp:Menu....>. Mine is 
<asp:Menu ID="Menu1" runat="server" DataSourceID="menuDataSource"  Orientation="Horizontal"> since I generated using horizontal navigation scheme.

Now, you place something like 
<StaticMenuItemStyle CssClass="navSM" Width="199px" />

Then go to your Navigation.css and
create an entry such as 

a.nav, a.nav:link, a.nav:active, a.nav:visited, a.nav:hover
{
    color: Red;
  }

This will change the main menu item color.
J.
May 21, 2008 at 7:23 PM
Sorry, the css entry should be

a.navSM. a.navSM:link, a.navSM:active, etc.... to match the CssClass="navSM".

Themegenerator has this deficency, but if you consult other pre-described themes, you get the idea.
May 21, 2008 at 8:15 PM
Edited May 21, 2008 at 8:22 PM
After playing with it a little bit and doing what you said I got it to work...I need to find the drop down menus now...I'm gonna guess that its probably dynamic or something.
May 21, 2008 at 8:24 PM
Wow...thank you so much, that's so easy now.  I just couldn't figure out where to even look for that.

Thanks a bunch!!
May 21, 2008 at 9:46 PM
Wow...thank you so much, that's so easy now.  I just couldn't figure out where to even look for that.

Thanks a bunch!!
May 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Thanks a bunch!!
Coordinator
May 28, 2008 at 12:39 PM
I just changed this part of the Theme Generator. With release 1.2.1 you will be able to set anchor styles separately for the navigation. Unfortunately, this will not work for your already created themes (only for new ones).