meta tags ...weird problem

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM
funny thing ...if I on my site click on view source i can see:

<meta name="keywords" content="" /><meta name="description" content="" /><meta name="generator" content="My Web Pages Starter Kit 1.2.0 Beta" />

If I dl the complete site and perform a search with VS - it can't find this 'entry' ...does anyone know in wich file this is ?
Apr 21, 2008 at 4:15 PM
Look at the root default.aspx.cs code file. In ver 1.1.4 is there and I don't believe they've changed all the logic in the new beta.

Andrea
Apr 21, 2008 at 6:42 PM
In Administration/CMS Setup you can set these values.

Seo thinking:
I think that the cms should have these values per page and not per website.
I have rebuilt the whole thing to get title, keywords and description for each webpage.
Searchengines are really interested in the title tag and that should be unique for each page.

This is really easy to do.
Instead of _website.Descrription I use _page.Description and so on.
Ofcourse, you have to add this extra textfield in Navigation.aspx and add new items to WebPage Data class

Title = _page.Title;
HtmlMeta description = new HtmlMeta();
description.Attributes.Add("name", "description");
description.Attributes.Add("content", _page.SeoDescription);
Header.Controls.Add(description);
Apr 22, 2008 at 6:45 AM
Edited Apr 22, 2008 at 6:46 AM
Richard

have a look at my SEO Extension. It does what are you looking for. The strange thing is that authors said me they was evaluating for insert it into the new code release, but it seems they didn't.

http://code.web-ma.com/aspnet-mwpsk-seoextension/
Apr 23, 2008 at 10:58 PM
I second moroandrea. His SEO extention is very cool. Having it left out of v1.2 beta release is very un-cool.

Same goes for MWPSKExtentions1.1.4. We have some great - and popular - user-generated extentions that have been left out of the new release.
Apr 24, 2008 at 5:06 PM

moroandrea wrote:
Richard

have a look at my SEO Extension. It does what are you looking for. The strange thing is that authors said me they was evaluating for insert it into the new code release, but it seems they didn't.

http://code.web-ma.com/aspnet-mwpsk-seoextension/

Yes I would also liked that this to be be standard and not a feature.
I have done all that modification and a lot more.
Changes I made:
Every newsitem act as an own page with urlrewrite keywords and so on. Also my productsection has this feature.
The Google sitemap also adds both news and products to the sitmap.
Think of it, 300 products, that a lot of pages and keywords.

When building website for customers, the most important is the get their homepages to rank well.
Coordinator
May 23, 2008 at 2:07 PM
The SEO Extension will be released with release 1.2.1

See also: http://www.codeplex.com/MyWebPagesStarterKit/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=16745

Best regards,
webeasy
May 27, 2008 at 3:18 PM
Hallo Andrea!

I estimate your extensions, especially those concerning seo, very high. Thank you for this.

I was surprised that this useful things were not integrated in the BETA 1.2. But then I found them in a slightly different manner implemented in the code (at least partially), so that there is no need to implement them once again, I think.

I send this code-snippet this evening, when I am at home, because I have no "source control" now.

A.
May 27, 2008 at 3:27 PM
Hi Rickard!

Could you please publish a link to your site: I will not steel anything, but take a look on an extended implementation of the mwpsk ;-)

Here is a link to my page, which is in experimental status in the moment:

www.luckystones.info

A.