users and roles management

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Dec 13, 2007 at 9:18 AM
hi ,
first of all thankx for this great cms
I have downloaded the latest version of the kit and set it up according to the documentation. and i have added the roles management(MWPSKExtensions 1.1.4.zip)to the application , it works excellent , then i tried to add the User Management Extension (power users) but i had alot of errors , so if any body have the full application with roles management Extensions and User Management Extension (power users) working please send it to me or tell me how can i add both of then to my application

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:36 PM
I'm in the same boat. I've just reinstalled everything from scratch and trying to get all the roles working.

samer310 wrote:
hi ,
I have downloaded the latest version of the kit and set it up according to the documentation. and i have added the roles management(MWPSKExtensions 1.1.4.zip)to the application , it works excellent , then i tried to add the User Management Extension (power users) but i had alot of errors , so if any body have the full application with roles management Extensions and User Management Extension (power users) working please send it to me or tell me how can i add both of then to my application

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:10 PM

IT'S WORKING

I've managed to merge MWPSKExtensions 1.1.4 with the User Management Extension (power users)
do not replace files from the power users extension. You will definitely throw errors.
Here's what I did.
  • Get a good running version of 1.1.4 with Extensions.
  • Make a backup of the entire folder.
  • DO NOT REPLACE files from the 1.1.4 extensions, but instead just make changes to the files you have.
  • I opened both files and viewed them side-by-side (I use Notepad++ for this)
  • Locate the sections conveniently commented with m
  • Pay particular attention to the the following files, as they contain items from the 1.1.4 extensions you do not want removed.
    • StringsRes.resx
    • WebPage.cs and WebSite.cs
    • SectionAdmin.ascx.cs

Let me know if you still cannot get it to work. I'll try to zip everything together as a full application.

ST

samer310 wrote:
hi ,

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:44 AM
thankx for the quick reply
i tried to merge both MWPSKExtensions 1.1.4 and the User Management Extension together but still have some errors in the users page and some others ...
would you please zip the full application together .

thank you again
Dec 14, 2007 at 3:00 PM
Ok, you can get my integrated version of 1.1.4 with User Management Extensions and Power User from my web site.
goto http://www.bandit-blog.com and click the Downloads link.
Download the MWSK114_WithExtensionsAndPowerUser.rar (5.9 MB) file.

Hope this helps.

v/r
ST

samer310 wrote:
thankx for the quick reply
i tried to merge both MWPSKExtensions 1.1.4 and the User Management Extension together but still have some errors in the users page and some others ...
would you please zip the full application together .

thank you again

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:30 PM
hi
unfortunatly i couldnt open your web site link .... seems there's a problem????
would you please put another link or send it to my e-mail
BR
Dec 14, 2007 at 8:15 PM
Try again, my server was turned off for some electrical work being done at the house.
It's back up now.

Sorry about the confusion.

ST

samer310 wrote:
hi
unfortunatly i couldnt open your web site link .... seems there's a problem????
would you please put another link or send it to my e-mail
BR

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:07 AM
Hello,

has anyone original "Power Users" ext available or is it available to download anywhere? I could take a look at changes there and check if I can merge it into our MWPSKExtensions. I will also take a look at your work, queue2k1, but would like to take a look at original code as well, in order to be sure there won't be side effects.

Unfortunately issue tracker is not displaying details about issue since many days because of TFS not working.

Thank you.
Dec 15, 2007 at 12:57 PM
Original PowerUser additions I got from here.

http://www.codeplex.com/MyWebPagesStarterKit/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=12140

Hope this helps.

ST

TBPrince wrote:
Hello,

has anyone original "Power Users" ext available or is it available to download anywhere? I could take a look at changes there and check if I can merge it into our MWPSKExtensions. I will also take a look at your work, queue2k1, but would like to take a look at original code as well, in order to be sure there won't be side effects.

Unfortunately issue tracker is not displaying details about issue since many days because of TFS not working.

Thank you.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:30 PM
Edited Dec 15, 2007 at 5:35 PM
Hello,

Sorry, I couldn't view WorkItems when using IE7. Uh! What's going on?? Anyway, I can successfully see them when using Opera. Thanks for your help.
Dec 15, 2007 at 6:21 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2007 at 7:12 AM
thankx .. its working
but still theres a problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the power user role is working........ but if you define a new role and try to use it , you will have a problem that you cant even see the new defined role in the Pages and Navigation page .... so you cant use it !!
any idea about this ?
BR
Dec 16, 2007 at 7:12 AM
thankx .. its working
the power user role is working........ but if you define a new role and try to use it , you will have a problem that you cant even see the new defined role in the Pages and Navigation page .... so you cant use it !!
any idea about this ?
BR
Dec 16, 2007 at 6:00 PM
I don't think "Dynamic" roles definition is implemented in this.
You would have to check the code where the PowerUser is defined and add the roles you want.
If I'm not mistaken, I think dynamic roles will be in the 2.0 version of MPWS. Guess will have to stay tuned.
If someone hasn't already done so, you could add a request in the issue tracker area.

Hope this helps.
ST

samer310 wrote:
thankx .. its working
any idea about this ?
BR

Coordinator
Mar 25, 2008 at 9:09 AM
Hello !

The PowerUser Management does not allow to create your "own" roles. You just can assign users to PowerUsers as implemented in:
http://www.codeplex.com/MyWebPagesStarterKit/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=12140

This extension is involved in the 1.2.0 Beta version and is completely working.
Another Role Management is not planned for 1.2.0 Final Release.

Best regards,
webeasy
May 27, 2008 at 5:15 PM
Could you tell me why mwpskExtension 1.1.4 is not incorporated in Mwpsk1.2.0 Beta? I'd like to use 1.2 because it has Blog sections, but I also like to define my own roles. I think Power user concept (allowed to edit but not allowed to structurally change the site) and roles (allowed to see certain pages depending on the roles) are two different things. Is it easier to add Blog section to 1.1.4 or is it better to add roles extension to 1.2 beta ? if you are not planning to incorporate it in 1.2 in foreseabel future?
May 27, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Hello,

this is just to say that MWPSKExtensions have already been migrated to v1.2.0BETA but package hasn't been released yet because from now on we won't release single changes or sections. Extensions will be published as a whole, including new sections and our changes. A new project on CodePlex will be created for this.

Reason why we do this is it's not handy for users to have many changes to apply to source files. That caused much confusion and many times such changes didn't work because they were applied in a bad way.

I cannot give a timeframe but it will take a few weeks, I hope.

May 27, 2008 at 10:19 PM

... A new project on CodePlex will be created for this.

For what?  Extensions?  Please elaborate  :-)

May 28, 2008 at 10:10 AM
        Yes, sure. Such project will only carry a delta to apply our changes, that is only files which should be changed to use our modifications. This is just to be able to track down bugs and problems in a easier way. We will try to stay in sync with official MWPSK releases but of course this is just an attempt. 

The really good structure of MWPSK itself makes it very easy to add modifications. This is a very well-thought framework.

Best regards.

aeromed wrote:

... A new project on CodePlex will be created for this.

For what?  Extensions?  Please elaborate  :-)

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:10 PM
 I downloaded v.1.2.1, and still do not see MWPSKExtensions (role based security) migrated.

TBPrince wrote:

Hello,

this is just to say that MWPSKExtensions have already been migrated to v1.2.0BETA but package hasn't been released yet because from now on we won't release single changes or sections. Extensions will be published as a whole, including new sections and our changes. A new project on CodePlex will be created for this.

Reason why we do this is it's not handy for users to have many changes to apply to source files. That caused much confusion and many times such changes didn't work because they were applied in a bad way.

I cannot give a timeframe but it will take a few weeks, I hope.

Jun 7, 2008 at 10:17 AM
Edited Jun 7, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Hello!

Im the coder of the power user extension.. Since the role based user management was coded by a different person, it was not intended to use the two extensions together...

(I still have not tried out the role based extension, anyway.. So I can't say how much effort it is to integrate it into the current version..)

At this point I want to say that I m glad that my extension was included in v1.2.1 :-)

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM
I too don't see the roles based user management in v1.2.1 ..