This project is read-only.

IE8 on My Web Pages Starter Kit

Topics: Developer Forum
May 3, 2009 at 9:18 PM
I have been using the My Web Pages Starter Kit 1.1 for about a year now and it has been great. I am starting to get quite a few hits to my church's website. I am now faced with an issue. I downloaded IE8 yesterday in a bundle of patches for my machine and now the menu bar only extends white boxes that are not clickable. I have gone to the primary page on My Web Pages Starter Kit and their site does the same thing under this new browser. I then went to my computer that has IE7 and no issues at all. I have started to get complaints from different users that have this new IE 8 browser and I was wondering if there is a fix for this issue.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. If I update the site to 1.2.2 will it address this issue?

May 4, 2009 at 7:33 AM
With 1.2.2 you will have the same issue.
Links are not shown in the menu bar, but IE8 has a Compatibility View button.

This will show the links in the menu, because IE8 will now behave as IE7.

This will fix your problem a little bit for now.

May 8, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Hi shakery1

This is a known problem with IE8 and asp:Menu in general. I'm currently changing all the built-in themes so that they are fully compatible with IE8. The fixed themes and other new features will be part of release 1.3.0 which should be out in the not too far future ;-)

Meanwhile you can add the following meta tag to your page's <head> (must be the first tag in <head>, otherwise it might not work!):
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />

This sets IE8 automatically to IE7-compatibility mode.

Hope this helps
Matthias

May 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Is there going to be an update to the Theme tool ?

May 18, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Yes, the theme-generator will be updated as well.

May 18, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Hi MRAatFC

Any chance "CssFriendly" can be implemented at the same time?  It also requires theme changes, but results in more complient markup.  It's fairly easy to add, it's the theme changes that take effort...  As a result of using CssFriendly, I haven't seen any IE8 issues.

Regards,

Jim.

May 21, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the tip. FYI, the meta tag that you mentioned works great, but breaks some of the RTL layout.

Also, I hope that the new theme tool (which is way cool), will allow upgrading old themes to the new themes you are working on. It will be a bummer if I have to rebuild my theme from scratch.

Thanks.

Noam

May 22, 2009 at 10:20 AM

I tried the meta tag, and it crashed my application pool, can someone enlighten me am I right in putting it in the masterpage?

May 24, 2009 at 10:12 AM

In the current download (Version 1.2.2) you can see how the meta tag should be placed in the 'Site.master' file. Its works fine in the 3 sites I have running.