import existing site to starter kit site

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 20, 2009 at 5:13 PM
Hello,

Just got all of my general pages working with the starter kit.  This makes things so easy.  Anyway, just wanted to find out if anybody has successfully imported an existing frontpage site into the starter kit site.  I have a published website that I have imported to VS Web express where I can view, edit, copy, or whatever but I don't want to mess up what I have with the starter package.  I figure you could probably just copy and paste all the files or add an additional folder in the starter kit, but I'm not sure where to add the file so it will be integrated into the navigation, etc.  Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Jan 21, 2009 at 7:27 PM
Hello,

Not sure what it is you want. Do you mean has anyone been able to perform AN AUTOMATIC IMPORT? If it is what you meant, I don't think this is easily possible. You can always manually recreate the Pages and add the Content to them afterm of course modifying your theme. Problem with Importing is the Content is stored in XML files in the Starter Kit. One would have to think how the Importer would differenitiate between XML Driven Content and Site Content. This would not be easy, it would of course be alot quicker to recreate the content in the new app manually using the Section Controls and a combination of CSS.

I hope this answered your question.

Thanks,
TJ Havens
Jan 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Thanks for your response.  I agree recreating will be a lot easier.  No sense in making it more difficult.  I appreciate your help.

Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:28 PM
To: schmidtmuffin@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: import existing site to starter kit site [MyWebPagesStarterKit:44695]

Hello,

Not sure what it is you want. Do you mean has anyone been able to perform AN AUTOMATIC IMPORT? If it is what you meant, I don't think this is easily possible. You can always manually recreate the Pages and add the Content to them afterm of course modifying your theme. Problem with Importing is the Content is stored in XML files in the Starter Kit. One would have to think how the Importer would differenitiate between XML Driven Content and Site Content. This would not be easy, it would of course be alot quicker to recreate the content in the new app manually using the Section Controls and a combination of CSS.

I hope this answered your question.

Thanks,
TJ Havens

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MyWebPagesStarterKit@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email MyWebPagesStarterKit@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.10/1906 - Release Date: 1/21/2009 7:07 AM