A little help on some basic issues?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 7, 2008 at 2:26 AM

Hi Everyone, 

I am hoping I may be able to get a little help or suggestions on a couple items.  I am new to this and working on a new web site for work.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using the Swish Blue theme in the MyWebPagesStarterKit_1.2.1.

1.  Where do you change what launches on a menu selection (i.e. SEARCH at the top I have copied the coding, but instead of the default SEARCH page loading I want it to link to a Web site survey feedback form.  I would like to have the following to appear at the top where Search currently defaults so you also have "Web Site Feedback" and "Members Login" ).  What file is this located in and how do I change this?

2.  How do I add a footer to the bottom of the pages (i.e. a copyright notice and a link to our Privacy and Disclaimer notice).

3.  How can I hide the Admin login (or move to a less noticable location, i.e. bottom of the page) on the web site so users are not confused with the admin login and the Members Login I want to enable.

I am sure these questions are fairly basic and I apologize, but I am still trying to wrap my head around all the coding :)

Thanks,
Janice

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:27 PM
Janice --

Below are some thoughts that might help.

1.  Where do you change what launches on a menu selection (i.e. SEARCH at the top I have copied the coding, but instead of the default SEARCH page loading I want it to link to a Web site survey feedback form.  I would like to have the following to appear at the top where Search currently defaults so you also have "Web Site Feedback" and "Members Login" ).  What file is this located in and how do I change this?

>>> In general, menu items point to pages. That is, if one clicks on a given menu item, then a given page will load. To manage this, login as an administrator and go to >Administration, >PagesAndNavigation. Now, the SearchLink is a slightly different animal because it is in a control, not part of the standard navigation. To change the SearchLink, look at this file... ..\App_Code\Controls\SearchLink.cs and look for the URL. (Note that the actual URL in that file should probably be externalized to a config setting somewhere less hardcode but that is a different topic.)

2.  How do I add a footer to the bottom of the pages (i.e. a copyright notice and a link to our Privacy and Disclaimer notice).

>>> To change the footer line, login as an admin and see >Administration, >CmsSetup, >FooterLine.

3.  How can I hide the Admin login (or move to a less noticable location, i.e. bottom of the page) on the web site so users are not confused with the admin login and the Members Login I want to enable.

>>> I do not understand the distinction that you are making between the Admin-Login and the Members-Login. When I switch to the theme SwirlBlue, I see only one link for "Login" and that is where everyone logs in. The application auto-adjusts for the type of user (admin or member) as it runs after the user logs in. Can you explain more?

HTH.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski
Nov 7, 2008 at 3:18 PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info.  As for the last one,  The admin log in would be me logging in to update the web site.  The Members login is a link to an external web site where they can go and update their member information, pay dues, register with the association, etc. and I do not want these 2 logins to be confused with the membership or staff.

Thanks again,
Janice
Nov 7, 2008 at 4:24 PM
Janice --

Maybe this will help.

The admin log in would be me logging in to update the web site. 

>>> This is already built-in. My recommendation is to leave it as-is. Maybe, just maybe, rename the link text from "Login" to "Admin Login". To change the text displayed, you need to "ctl_LoginAdmin_LogIn" value in the file "StringsRes.resx" in the folder "App_GlobalResources". And, if you are using some language other than English, you will probably have to edit one of the other ".resx" files in the same location.

The Members login is a link to an external web site where they can go and update their member information, pay dues, register with the association, etc. 

>>> This is custom. Add a top-level page to your site called something like "Members Login". On that page, put a link to the login for that external page (if the page is not on this site) or do whatever you want if the page is internal to your site such as add a custom EasyControl that provides the functionality you have built, etc.

I do not want these 2 logins to be confused with the membership or staff.

>>> That is understandable. You just need to give them unique names, IMHO.

HTH.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski
Nov 7, 2008 at 5:14 PM
Thanks for the info Mark, I will give this a whirl, but may be back if I run into any issues.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Janice

To: mcks_mom@hotmail.com
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:24:49 -0800
Subject: Re: A little help on some basic issues? [MyWebPagesStarterKit:39404]

.ExternalClass {font-family:Verdana;font-size:0.75em;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationFooter {border-top:1px solid #ccc;color:gray;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationPostBody {margin-bottom:2em;} .ExternalClass {font-family:Verdana;font-size:0.75em;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationFooter {color:gray;border-top:1px solid #ccc;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationPostBody {margin-bottom:2em;} From: mkamoski
Janice --

Maybe this will help.

The admin log in would be me logging in to update the web site.

>>> This is already built-in. My recommendation is to leave it as-is. Maybe, just maybe, rename the link text from "Login" to "Admin Login". To change the text displayed, you need to "ctl_LoginAdmin_LogIn" value in the file "StringsRes.resx" in the folder "App_GlobalResources". And, if you are using some language other than English, you will probably have to edit one of the other ".resx" files in the same location.

The Members login is a link to an external web site where they can go and update their member information, pay dues, register with the association, etc.

>>> This is custom. Add a top-level page to your site called something like "Members Login". On that page, put a link to the login for that external page (if the page is not on this site) or do whatever you want if the page is internal to your site such as add a custom EasyControl that provides the functionality you have built, etc.

I do not want these 2 logins to be confused with the membership or staff.

>>> That is understandable. You just need to give them unique names, IMHO.

HTH.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MyWebPagesStarterKit@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email MyWebPagesStarterKit@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Visit messengerbuddies.ca to find out how you could win. Enter today.
Nov 8, 2008 at 5:35 AM
Hi Janice,

>>> To change the footer line, login as an admin and see >Administration, >CmsSetup, >FooterLine.

Just wanted to share some additional info on the footer -- you can embed information such as links, images, and basically whatever you want, by marking it up using HTML.

Best,
Fran
www.francalvert.com
Nov 13, 2008 at 5:24 PM
Hi Fran,

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering based on the template there is the footer line, how would I embed the links or images in the footer?

Thanks again,
Janice

To: mcks_mom@hotmail.com
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 22:35:21 -0800

.ExternalClass {font-family:Verdana;font-size:0.75em;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationFooter {border-top:1px solid #ccc;color:gray;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationPostBody {margin-bottom:2em;} .ExternalClass {font-family:Verdana;font-size:0.75em;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationFooter {color:gray;border-top:1px solid #ccc;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationPostBody {margin-bottom:2em;} From: francal
Hi Janice,

2. How do I add a footer to the bottom of the pages (i.e. a copyright notice and a link to our Privacy and Disclaimer notice).

Just wanted to share some additional info on the footer -- you can embed information such as links, images, and basically whatever you want, by marking it up using HTML.

Best,
Fran
www.francalvert.com
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MyWebPagesStarterKit@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email MyWebPagesStarterKit@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Turn email contacts into buddies, and you could win. Enter today.
Nov 13, 2008 at 8:53 PM
...not sure...

...but, I will guess...

...try something like this...

...and try something like this...

My Link Name

...and play around a bit...

...that's all I have for now, let me know how it works out, I need to be somewhere else and I am late...

Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:24:13 PM

Hi Fran,

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering based on the template there is the footer line, how would I embed the links or images in the footer?

Thanks again,
Janice

To: [email removed]
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 22:35:21 -0800

.ExternalClass {font-family:Verdana;font-size:0.75em;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationFooter {border-top:1px solid #ccc;color:gray;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationPostBody {margin-bottom:2em;} .ExternalClass {font-family:Verdana;font-size:0.75em;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationFooter {color:gray;border-top:1px solid #ccc;} .ExternalClass #EC_ThreadNotificationPostBody {margin-bottom:2em;} From: francal

Hi Janice,

2. How do I add a footer to the bottom of the pages (i.e. a copyright notice and a link to our Privacy and Disclaimer notice).

Best,
Fran
www.francalvert.com

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])
To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]
Nov 13, 2008 at 9:36 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2008 at 9:13 PM
Hi Janice,

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:08 AM
Edited Nov 14, 2008 at 9:11 PM
see next
Nov 14, 2008 at 1:14 AM
Edited Nov 14, 2008 at 9:10 PM
Hi Janice,

Sorry, my HTML example didn't post to the Codeplex forum. So, to insert images (or other) into the footer line, just insert marked-up content into the footer line field. The program is smart enough to read and display the content in formatted condition. Tip: To quick-start your mark-up, open an HTML module in Edit mode, create your content as desired, click the Source button to view the HTML native code, and copy/paste the code from the HTML module into the footer line field.

Fran