This project is read-only.

How do I add a second column to the standard page?

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 23, 2008 at 8:08 AM
Hi,

I've had some success adjusting the widths of the various elements -- i.e. header, footer, sidebar, menu, etc. -- that comprise a standard page. Now I'm trying to add a second content "container" to the page so that I'll have two columns to work with instead of the single column. I want to have the identical controls for the second column (i.e. dropdown menu of choices). (When I increase all the css widths so that the page is around 900 pixels wide, there's room for that second column.) Anyway, I tried just modifying the css files to add a second cell in the content container, and nothing happened, it didn't recognize a second column. Next, I tried modifying the table in default.aspx file -- didn't help me. I'm now looking in the default.aspx.cs file but haven't figured anything out yet. I'd really appreciate some input from others with more experience using C# -- right now I'm kind of trying things randomly to see if anything works, and so far nothing has.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Fran
Oct 24, 2008 at 5:41 PM
Hi.

What are you trying to do? Is it a new placeholder of sections or just the plain css with more columns? 
If you like to add extra section to for eg. the sidebar or extend the layout with more columns and extra sections, I've posted a solution here: http://www.codeplex.com/MyWebPagesStarterKit/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=19141
Oct 25, 2008 at 12:50 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your response. Yes, I'm looking for a new placeholder with sections. The CSS columns are just to provide room on the page -- maybe not needed? I'll try your solution -- it sounds like it might be what I'm looking for.
Fran