Page Hangs?

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 15, 2008 at 3:45 AM
I am not sure if it me, but have any of you noticed pages hanging? This has occured for me in the admin/user/anonymous modes when I click a link or button. The page can hang for 1-3 minutes. It does seem to return without error eventually.

Maybe it is an issue with my server, but I am curious if anyone else has noticed this?

I am running Win 2003 64bit.

Any input would be a big help.

Thanks,

...ED
Oct 16, 2008 at 12:47 AM
Hey Emcconnell,
                          Most all .net sites will lag a bit if they are not hit often,  also if the site is open on a page for a while and then another page is called. From what I read this is caused because most of us do not Pre-Compile  our sites and rely on the server to Compile the site when it is hit, which is fine, however  the App Pool will “recycle”  and loose the compiled site causing the server to re-compile on the next hit. Also on "production" sites you should disable debugging in your web.config file.

<compilation debug="false" /> 

Here is something you can try if you are running VISTA. You can download a GADGET called DopplerVUE which will continually ping and send HTTP request to your site and keep the App Pool “alive” and see if you are still having issues.

I’ll say I’m not an authority on windows 2003 64bit either. So hopefully someone else will have other solutions for you.

THEFAV

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:40 PM
Hey Emcconnel,

There are several reason could cause the delay.
1. You didn't pre-compile your web site. Most likely it is not your issue. The compile time should only be seconds or minutes.
2. Your web site is waiting the response from ProcessIdentity. see Cheshire's blog:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jamesche/archive/2007/10/25/long-delay-on-first-request-to-asp-net-2-0-application.aspx

There some other issues I am facing that AJAX loading delay on a shared hosting computer.
Anywhere the performance issue of ASP.NET 2.0 + AJAX is a big issue.
Use microsoft Application Stress Tool and other performance test Tool to find the bottleneck.

Good luck.

Haiyan
Feb 1, 2009 at 12:09 AM
In the past we experienced a problem related to search. Try to see if searching can reproduce the problem as we had kind of hanging for a few minutes before everything became normal. Problem was related to stripping out HTMLtags before searching for pattern but we didn't trace it back enough to solve it. Our problem was not related to search per se but some kind of special contents which was making search functionality to hang.

Hope this helps.