800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 and beyond.

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Aug 22, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Hi Gang,

I've made about 6 websites now using MWPSK and each and everyone of them works fine, I've tweaked a couple of them in a small way here and there and don't have any real issues, but I would like to see a generally larger website than the current 15 or 16 themes that come out of the box. It's good to be able to switch themes for a complete new look and yet retain all the data and links, this is an awesome feature, but there is so much wasted screen real estate because each theme is set to around the old 800 x 600 pixel resolution standard.

I have like most people these days a 17 inch monitor or greater, and I usually set my screen resolution at the very least at 1024 x 768, so even this leave quite a lot of wasted space, however all my laptops today come by default at 1280 or greater.

It would be great if it was built into the system that not only could you select the theme but also the resolution (or size if you like). I guess I could go in and modify one if need be, then again that might be a lot of work, I haven't looked at that yet. Has anyone successfully used 100% of the width available for a website modification with MWPSK ?

Can someone save me a bit of work and suggest the steps involved in attempting this, that way it might save me a lot of time. In this day and age of multiple choice and options, it seems that what I am suggesting is just a matter of time. I fell in love with tables years ago and for good reason, it is just so easy to type width="100%" are, those were the days :-)

Can anyone help me?
Regards
Ron

Aug 22, 2008 at 11:40 PM
I use the FlapBlue theme for my web site: http://www.fontlife.com. The table widths are stored in the css files. I just added 200 pixels to the values that were stored there, but I suppose you could just as well change the widths to 100% or 95% or whatever and make the style elastic. I haven't tried it, but the files I changed are PageLayout.css, StandardElements.css, FormElements.css, SectionStyles.css, and Skin.skin. I also changed the TextStyle.css because I prefer a larger font size.
Aug 23, 2008 at 4:26 AM
Edited Aug 23, 2008 at 5:20 AM
Hi, can you you send me the following files: PageLayout.css, StandardElements.css, FormElements.css, SectionStyles.css, and Skin.skin so that I can see exactly where you made your changes, I started modifying the PageLayout.css and got the extra 200 okay, but the colums etc, were out and need to be altered, it will be a lot easier if I can see your changes and make them accordingly on mine, I am doing the theme Rounded Black, but by studing your files I should be able to workout the changes required for my theme. Can you just e-mail the files to tailwag@hotmail.com thank you heaps.

Ron
Aug 23, 2008 at 2:19 PM
Files sent!
Aug 24, 2008 at 8:45 AM
Thank you very much, I had a little trouble because I used your files thinking that FlapBlue would be essentially the same as FlepGreen, but they are not, the code in Skin.skin is completely different, so I put my Skin.skin back but used your other files, this seems to work, but I don't really know if I just changed the width and that's all, or if I made other subtle changes as well. The bottom line is that the website looks much better wider and that has fixed it for me, I used your pixel measurements and didn't temp fate with %.

I guess I had better take a look through the code of the Skin.skin file and see what it really does, I assume without looking that it defines the actual layout of the theme, but I'll go and read through each line and see what I come up with.

Cheers
Ron
Aug 24, 2008 at 8:48 AM
Edited Aug 28, 2008 at 6:12 AM
Just as an afterthought, I mucked around with Rounded Black, and all that was required to take it from its 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 was to increase the width by 200px in three places in one .css file and resize two images an extra 200px. This takes all of 60 seconds and the larger website lives. Of course you can't have it both ways, if someone does view the site in 800 x 600 they will only see 3/4 of it and have the nasty horizontal scroll bar.

I still think it might be a nice toy to have to double up on required images and have a choice via the CMS setup to not only pick your theme but also the size.

Thanks again.
Ron

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:10 PM
Edited Oct 14, 2008 at 2:14 PM
Tailway (and all) --

Regarding this...

>>>Just as an afterthought, I mucked around with Rounded Black, and all that was required to take it from its 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768 was to increase the width by 200px in three places in one .css file and resize two images an extra 200px.

...can you be a bit more specific and say...

(1). Which CSS file?

(2). Where exactly in the CSS does it get increased by 200px?

(3). Which images get resized?

Please advise.

(I am struggling with this trying to make it elastic-- but, now the theme is just munged.)

-- Mark Kamoski