Tutorial website

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
May 20, 2008 at 3:19 PM
Edited May 20, 2008 at 3:20 PM
Is there anyone that interested in creation of a tutorial website, that explain in detail how to make a section or extend the cms with new features. I started this question because I think there's a lot of people that interresed to create new stuff in MWPMSK, but doesn't always have the knowledge or even has a clue how to get there.

I was thinking of a site that explains and where you can download all the stuff from the tutiorial. Also other than me should have permisson to write a tutorial.

VOTE and I'll see if there's the response to make this real.

Tutorial website screenshot (Only a test)

May 21, 2008 at 3:23 PM
It is a great idea although I cannot contribute anything now...I 've just started using the package a couple weeks ago...this is a great package, I already have a highly functional website in 2 weeks. Now, I have to start studying how it is working. It's not a beginner's system, you need to know quite lots of things already to understand the entire mechanism of this CMS system. I'd rather like someone to explain how this is working because adding or modifying things require us to know the original workings of the package. But when I start to understand, I will love to learn how to add new controls or new features. J.
May 21, 2008 at 9:42 PM
Edited May 21, 2008 at 9:42 PM

I have actually thought of asking, promoting this, myself...

I think it's a great idea... and really could be much more than just tutorials, IE:

- Codeplex is full of good stuff, for dev collaboration on source projects, but the UI, features, are not conducive to promoting "community" ... which is what MWPSK needs! MWPSK is the top stop for CMS projects on codeplex, yet, the amount of "activity" here is hardly reflective.  The "discussions" don't really work like a true forum.  I think with the right app, it could get mass activity-- lots of shared add-ons & code, ratings, articles/tips, how-to's , tutorials, galleries... organization, collaboration, and structure around extension development.. and,   on and on.

It's too bad that MWPSK can't (currently?) be the base of the app but there are several other options.

So, I concur with your idea, and suggest that it be taken further!--  Keep the core-dev-stuff here, at codeplex, and point to external site that will promote, inspire, and nurture community around MWPSK. 
This is all, of course, dependent on Urs & Co. concurrence.

What do you think, Urs?

<2 cents>--  your "MWPCMS" is interesting.  I've always thought that "My Web Pages Starter Kit" sounded... rather... amateurish, or off-target, for what the app is.  It's beautifully simple but powerful.. very adaptable to base many apps and extends easily...  I don't know.  I hope not to insult, in any way, but I just don't think of  "confidence or professional" when I hear "my web pages" or "starter kit".  It's much more than that.  (nor, do I want to share with new clients that their app is "powered by a kit"  :-)

May 22, 2008 at 9:01 AM
Hello aeromed

When I think of creating a new "tutorial website", I wan't to start with this and then go futute if needed. As we say in Sweden "jump for stars and get stuck in the tree." It's better to begin small (but think big) and let the time tell how to extend with more features.
I think that the MWPSK has some great loss of features from the start, but they should keep it up and having it simple from the start. I also think it's hard to find stuff i this forum, it's spread all over the forum and not just in a tab where it should be.

When I meant creating a "Turorial website", I meant to share new functions and sections to an extended cms and not just the MWPSK. There are several things that has to be changed to get this into a fully useful application. Our main goal are to get each function seo optimized, so customers don't need to do anything onpage.

The name MWPCMS is our CMS that has the name from my company  "Medio web production (MWP CMS)" and has some core functions from mwpsk. But from there it's totally rewritten. For eg. the app_code is moved into a separate dll. Usercontrols and xsl files are separated for each website, pages and Sections have a feature like versioning , roles can be applyed to both pages and sections, themes built pages and adding sections in more then one place is a really useful extension. And the best of all, everything is SEO friendly, just like it should be from the beginning. It's a really great cms and has hundreds(or more) of more functions then the original mwpsk. This i some of the things I like to share in the new website.

I say thank you the team for the core in MWPSK, who shared this and let others know how you can use xml in a really easy way.

I also asked mwpsk team about starting up this website, but I don't got any answer yet.
May 25, 2008 at 7:44 PM
Edited May 26, 2008 at 4:43 PM

When I meant creating a "Turorial website", I meant to share new functions and sections to an extended cms and not just the MWPSK.

The name MWPCMS is our CMS that has the name from my company  "Medio web production (MWP CMS)" and has some core functions from mwpsk

...the app_code is moved into a separate dll. Usercontrols and xsl files are separated for each website, pages and Sections have a feature like versioning , roles can be applied to both pages and sections, themes built pages and adding sections in more then one place is a really useful extension. And the best of all, everything is SEO friendly, just like it should be from the beginning. It's a really great cms and has hundreds(or more) of more functions then the original mwpsk. This i some of the things I like to share in the new website.

Hi Rickard,

I understand.  Didn't mean to hijack your idea and try to change directions with it.  But, I do think that this project would prosper if the "community" was directed to a site/app that can handle that better than codeplex.

Ah.. ok.  "Medio.. Web.. etc. "  Gotcha.    I refer to this project on my site, in acronym, "mwpsk",  but won't spell it out.  Those who know.. will know.. and those who don't.. won't need to. 

Sounds as though you're doing some things that I'm doing, and looking to do-- Like, mainly, from a single solution I want to precompile/output different versions, enabled-disabled features, to different sites.  Trying to maintain/update several projects of mwpsk can get confusing to manage.

I, too, have some great extensions/add-ons/mods I want to share (not yet optimized, cleaned-up, for public use)--
  A couple of things I've done (or working on) is; a Newsletters Section, Wordpress blogs incorporation (ya, php on asp), and have improved on some existing add-ons, like, Products section (see sample in work), google map section.  Added "core" config pages in admin (unavail. to clients) to enable/disable features like; add/remove www, toggle extension-less urls, toggle "demo mode", error logs and reporting. 
All mine are on 3.5, ajax'n in work, and I'm incorporating many Telerik's controls... editor, combos, menus... (which I just noticed that THIS editor is Telerik's--  Try out that spell checker.. coolio)
I may offer some add-ons that use Telerik's controls, but I have to learn how to compile as not to distribute my licensed dll.

I've been experimenting with, also, putting the admin pages into sections.  Not sure why, yet.. but, like, creating the site, one could customize the admin for various clients/apps.  It's interesting.

So, I suppose I could contribute to a tut site..  I'm far from expert, but I manage ok.  :-)

David