Images KO on server

May 6, 2008 at 11:45 AM
Hello,
On localhost everything is OK.
But on the server only the images of the theme are OK. The others don't works.
There is a red croix.
Is the pb comes to the context.Server.MapPath(string.Format("~/App_Data... ?

see it on : www.coolom.com

Thanks a lot.
May 8, 2008 at 7:10 PM
You need to change the adress of each image. When you add it localy, it's adress is http://localhost/website/. Remove the /website/ or try to upload it again, then it would work just fine.
May 9, 2008 at 12:13 PM
Does someone have the same problem ?
I just publish the site on the server and no images are visible ?

I don't understand how i can change the adress.
The adresses are in *.config like par example HTLMContent the src is src="/MyWebPagesStarterKit/ImageHandler.ashx?UploadedFile=true&pg=16e20958-eb76-4c54-b211-81a63309af26&image=~/App_Data/UserImages/Image/acceuil2.jpg"

When i create a section online and select an image i can't see it on previsualisation window ???

I'm going crazy with this problem since one month i search...

Please help me !!!

PS: sorry for my bad english (i'm french)
May 9, 2008 at 12:17 PM
A last detail, the float menu doesn't appear too ???
i mean :
Gallery --> Portfolio 1
--> Portfolio 2
--> Portfolio 3

So two ploblem in one : the images and the menu are KO.
May 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM
If you save images locally and the website is running from a subfolder, the path to the image is http://localhost:port/MyWebPagesStarterKit/ImageHandler.ashx?......

When you upload your site to www.domain.com there's no subfolder "/MyWebPagesStarterKit/". The path is then http://www.domain.com/ImageHandler.ashx?......

Do you see the diffrens between the to paths?
May 10, 2008 at 6:26 AM
I understand the subfolder problem.
So i built a subfolder on the server with the name "MyWebPagesStarterKit" and i published in.
There is an exception security like the post Security Exception error of tajuddin.

Another thing :
In HTMLContent edit mode i don't see the preview images and i don't have the submenu.

I'm the first person who have this problem with this starter kit ?

I really want to use this kit because it's a very good site... locally for the moment...
May 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM

My sentiments exactly – this is an excellent kit, if only I could use it beyond my local machine!

When I deploy a site to my hoster, I experience really odd behavior when it comes to displaying images (incidentally this also applies to the “anti bot image” on the guest book).  Basically 19 times out of 20 I get the annoying “red cross”.  I do occasionally get an image – and I seem to get the image more often when logged in as an administrator (although, even then, not always).

This is driving me nuts, as I cannot seem to find any other postings referring to this problem.

It is definitely not a local/server pathing issue (as far as I can tell) as my root is the same on both, and I have even created a brand new site straight onto the hosting server (i.e. I didn't touch it in VS) and uploaded images straight there - just as a test.  Does anybody have any idea why the images are so reluctant to display (indeed the inconsistency only serves to make it worse).

Could it be a caching problem, or some processing delay issue - with the imagehandler?

Any help would be gratefully received as I am starting to feel that I will have to abandon this project and revert back to creating a manual website system (heaven forbid!!)

Thanks

PS. Please do not apologies “alces” for your bad English....it is immensely better than my French!!

May 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM
Edited May 18, 2008 at 8:06 PM

May 19, 2008 at 6:34 AM
Hi again

Which host are you using?

Send a whole copy of the cms to me, and I do a check if there's problems with the application.
May 19, 2008 at 8:20 AM

rickardmagnusson wrote:
Hi again

Which host are you using?

Send a whole copy of the cms to me, and I do a check if there's problems with the application.

Thanks for the reply.

I am using a hosting company called solentnet.com (I think they are a relatively small hosting company) - but to be fair they have always served me well with other XML based sites (including some MS starter kits and non starter kits - i.e. www.liquorandpoker.me.uk and www.glomel.co.uk).  Could it be that there is some specific permissions issue with the hoster that would prevent the images from displaying consistently with MWPSK?

Also, I am happy to send you the site (although, this is literally a very basic test site not yet in operation www.hunmanbyinbloom.co.uk) - indeed, all I did was take the original MWPSK and upload it with the exception of adding <identity impersonate="true"/> into the web.config which was the only way I could logon as admin.  Is this leading to any useful explanation, I am starting to feel this may be a security issue with my hoster?

Again, many thanks for responding so quickly - this isn't the end of the world if I can't get it to work, but I am genuinely interested as to why.

Best regards

May 19, 2008 at 8:28 AM
Hi,
i do the same test of "js" with publishing the original kit without any change.
The pb is still persisting.
see it on : www.coolom.com (admin/admin).
Red cross for images and no "floating submenu".

May be i would change my hosting ?

I read somewhere that it will be 'Medium trust" on the server, is it the solution ?

...thanks
May 19, 2008 at 2:17 PM
Hi again.
I'm pretty sure that files are missing. See if theres a ImageHandler.ashx in the webroot. Depending on what ftp client you use, there's a lot of bad ftp client that don't check if all files are uploaded.
You have read and write permission so that's not a problem.(You couldn't login if not)
Also, don't change anything in web.config.
May 19, 2008 at 3:31 PM
Edited May 19, 2008 at 3:32 PM

rickardmagnusson wrote:
Hi again.
I'm pretty sure that files are missing. See if theres a ImageHandler.ashx in the webroot. Depending on what ftp client you use, there's a lot of bad ftp client that don't check if all files are uploaded.
You have read and write permission so that's not a problem.(You couldn't login if not)
Also, don't change anything in web.config.

Hi

Certainly from my point - the ImageHandler.ashx is definately in the root. 

I do also have read and write permissions (as you correctly stated - confirmed by the 666 settings on my ftp client - FileZilla).

The reason I placed the <identity impersonate="true"/> into the web.config was because I was initially getting a permissions issue with regards to the "users.config" file which seemed to be cured by the change to the web.config.  That said, I have now removed the line as you suggested.

Do I only require read/write access or is there a more granular security setting required (which can only be done on the server)?

My gut feeling is that this is definately security based issue, but not really knowing enough about the workings of the system, I cannot seem to go any further.

Again, many thanks for your continued efforts to help!
May 19, 2008 at 5:58 PM
I just moved my test site to web hosting company. I initially had image problems (not loaded...red X sign) in HTMLContent. Galleries had no problems. So, I reloaded the images in the HTMLContent in Edit Mode in the hosting site as I did in the testing environment. They appear OK. The only problem I have is in the image in the blog. I remembered that I had one blog with an image, so I went to reload the image, but actually the entire block entry (with the image) was gone. Other blog entries without image were still there. This is a mystery to me.
May 19, 2008 at 9:20 PM
I try to find elements of response.
What's the version do you use ?
For me is the 1.2 Beta and it's not working.
May 19, 2008 at 9:49 PM
I am also using 1.2 Beta. I copied all the files in expanded in MyWebPagesStarterKit1.2 folder, but not this folder itself to the root of hosting site. I've played around in the testing environment (meaning tweaking css files and skin file, but nothing structural). Then, this afternoon, I uploaded to my hosting site. As I said before, initially all the images in the HTMLcontents were missing. So, I clicked missing image (red crossed one), and click the image icon in the Editor. I did browse when image load dialog box appears, and found in my pc, and I clicked the upload, and the image file was listed, so I clicked that link, and voila, it restored the image. See my site : http://www.leleAdelee.com, Home page has HtmlContent with a big image (which was missing initially). Also, http://www.leleAdelee.com/Contact.aspx has 3 images in the HtmlContent which were also missing initially. J.

May 20, 2008 at 6:27 AM
Is the website in it's own root (not a subfolder)?
May 20, 2008 at 7:54 AM
My site is on it's own root (of what i can see on FTP).

juliaflorida your site seems to be ok ?

For me every images are missing AND the floating menu too.

You can test it with admin/admin on ccolom.com.

May be i should change hosting ?
May 20, 2008 at 8:01 AM
Edited May 20, 2008 at 8:34 AM
Mine is exactly the same as "alces" - I am placing it directly under the wwwroot folder of my hoster (which is the root folder).

(incidentally I am using released 1.4)
May 20, 2008 at 9:38 AM
This is strange. When I try to get the image with an direct url like http://www.coolom.com/ImageHandler.ashx , there's no sush file. When I try it on any of my websites it returns a empty page not a 404 not found as yours do.  It appears as the ImageHandler doesnt exist.
May 20, 2008 at 12:27 PM
Hi alces, I logged in to your site to see navigation problem...but when I mouseover to "Administration" link, there is no subpages appearing so I could not do anything. Since you have not done much work on this site, I would suggest to remove everything you loaded up into the site, and restart from beginning...from downloading a new 1.2 beta, and putting up everything in extracted out from zip file without any change. Then, you can login using admin/admin, and see Administration link, create a new page, put Htmlcontent section in it, and in the edit mode add an image in it going through upload process following the image upload process. It is too hard to figure if something is missing or not. Since the package is working fine with some other sites, you have to assume something was corrupted in your site.  J.
May 20, 2008 at 2:16 PM
ImageHandler.ashx is present, i verified it this morning.
Juliaflorida you touch the pb. I don't have the floating submenu, so i can't create any page.
The current version of coolom is the exactly extracting files of zip without change.
So...I'm hitting my head on the keyboard!!!!

How can i know if it's an hosting pb ?
May 20, 2008 at 2:32 PM
ImageHandler.ashx is present, i verified it this morning.
Juliaflorida you touch the pb. I don't have the floating submenu, so i can't create any page.
The current version of coolom is the exactly extracting files of zip without change.
So...I'm hitting my head on the keyboard!!!!

How can i know if it's an hosting pb ?
May 20, 2008 at 3:55 PM
Edited May 20, 2008 at 3:56 PM
I completely agree with "alces" - mine also, definitely has an ImageHandler.ashx present;  I am almost certain that this must be something to do with the hoster(s).

As stated previously, I placed a completely "virgin" extraction of the solution straight into the root - and still have the problem, which makes me feel that I there is either some corruption in the download/upload or that the hoster I am using is in some way "different" to others (bearing in mind that I downloaded a "fresh" copy again, and then uploaded it to my site - I cannot believe that this can be corrupt twice?)

Personally, I will probably "bow" out of this thread now and start working on another project - but I will watch it with interest to see if you guys come up with a solution!!

Thanks for all the input so far and good luck!!
May 20, 2008 at 4:10 PM
Question to js - do you also not see any submenu under Administration (such as CMS setup, Navigation and Pages, etc.?), or you just cannot upload images?
Question to alces - Can you check at your hosting site if /App_Data/UserImages/Image/shoes.jpg exists? I uploaded one of my images there. It is listed, but when I click it, it does not linked to the image I placed (as you said). At the same time ask your hosting company technician how to access to "Administration" and "App-Data" folder which do not seem accessible. It is strange though because if the problem has to do with access permissions, then you should get server errors instead of inactions.
May 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM
Question to js - do you also not see any submenu under Administration (such as CMS setup, Navigation and Pages, etc.?), or you just cannot upload images?
Question to alces - Can you check at your hosting site if /App_Data/UserImages/Image/shoes.jpg exists? I uploaded one of my images there. It is listed, but when I click it, it does not linked to the image I placed (as you said). At the same time ask your hosting company technician how to access to "Administration" and "App-Data" folder which do not seem accessible. It is strange though because if the problem has to do with access permissions, then you should get server errors instead of inactions.
May 20, 2008 at 9:35 PM
With FTP i see your 2 images shoes and shoes2.

Maybe the files as imagehandler.ashx who are at the root can't be execute ???

I think i'm going to change hoster and see if it's resolving the matter...

The administrator said that it would be an adress error and that's all...