Accessibility

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Apr 13, 2008 at 8:24 PM
I am trying to use MWPSK to develop a number of community sites for local not-for-profit organisations.
The major issue facing us at the moment is that of accessibility. I wonder if there might be a way for a user logged on to a site to be presented with a choice of themes? For instance, a high visibility theme could easily be generated with the new theme generator, but not every visitor to the site would want to use such a theme.
Any ideas? phil stedman
Apr 1, 2009 at 12:45 PM
Another related issue, is the need for an audio alternative for the anti-bot feature, so that blind or nearly blind visitors can use the feature.
Apr 2, 2009 at 1:59 AM
It should be possible to add theme slection at the front-end.  This could be something to look at as a contrib project, once these get underway. 

With this in mind, it would be good to get some sort of formal "feature request" capability in place - does codeplex have anything like this?  Ideally, it should be possible to vote on features, which could then be executed either as core features, or in a contrib project.

I also agree that the anti-bot could be improved, possibly with one of the web-service based versions out there.  I'm sure I've seen one that allows audio output also....

For my part, I'd like to see adoption of the http://www.codeplex.com/cssfriendly project into the core project, so we can at least get near to achieveing compliant/accessible sites.  It does however, (I recall from bitter experience), require fixes in all the themes to do this...

It strikes me that there's a good match between Not For Profit's and this CMS, so the more accessible we can make it, the better.

Just my 2 pence...

Jim.