Error on First Run

Topics: User Forum
Nov 24, 2006 at 11:36 AM
I run a win2k server with iis5 and aspnet2.0.

I have created a virtual directory called mwpsk. I have given ASPNET write rights to App_Data.

When I load the site at http://timmee.org/mwpsk i get the following error:

Server Error in '/mwpsk' Application.
Could not load file or assembly 'MemberRole, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7c773fb104e7562' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'MemberRole, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7c773fb104e7562' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'MemberRole, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7c773fb104e7562' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog.

Stack Trace:

FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'MemberRole, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7c773fb104e7562' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection) +0
System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +211
System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +141
System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +25
System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +32

ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load file or assembly 'MemberRole, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7c773fb104e7562' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +596
System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo ai) +70
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig) +177
System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler..ctor(VirtualPath configPath, Boolean supportLocalization, String outputAssemblyName) +180
System.Web.Compilation.CodeDirectoryCompiler.GetCodeDirectoryAssembly(VirtualPath virtualDir, CodeDirectoryType dirType, String assemblyName, StringSet excludedSubdirectories, Boolean isDirectoryAllowed) +347
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileCodeDirectory(VirtualPath virtualDir, CodeDirectoryType dirType, String assemblyName, StringSet excludedSubdirectories) +125
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled() +378

HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'MemberRole, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7c773fb104e7562' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ReportTopLevelCompilationException() +57
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled() +612
System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters) +456

HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'MemberRole, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b7c773fb104e7562' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +3426887
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +88
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +149

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

What have i done wrong?
Coordinator
Nov 24, 2006 at 3:16 PM
Hello user ..

Unfortunately I cannot give you right away the solution, since we did not install and test the application on Windows 2000 so far.

Before we have to do that, please check the following:

-Did you clear the cache in the browser and delete all the cookies before your first request ?
-Did you select the right ASP.NET version for your website in the IIS ?
-Did you select the option "high (isolated) under Application Protection (IIS) ?
-Did you copy the application folder with all the files und subdirectories, the web.config and the bin folder with the two dlls ?

If you still get an error, please let me know for further investigation.

thanks
Pascal
Nov 27, 2006 at 1:05 PM
<blockquote>
Did you clear the cache in the browser and delete all the cookies before your first request ?
-Did you select the right ASP.NET version for your website in the IIS ?
-Did you select the option "high (isolated) under Application Protection (IIS) ?
-Did you copy the application folder with all the files und subdirectories, the web.config and the bin folder with the two dlls ?
</blockquote>

I have cleared the cache and deleted all cookies - no improvement

I have chanfe the Application Protection to High (Isolated) - no improvement

I have selected 2.0, as you can see from the version information in the error message:
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

I have copied the complete application. The two dlls in bin are App_Licenses.dll and RJS.Web.WebControl.PopCalendar.dll

Your further investigation would be appreciated.
Coordinator
Nov 27, 2006 at 2:55 PM
Dear user

thanks for your detailed feedback! Since we don't have an Windows 2000 Server installation right available, I cannot give you a quick answer, sorry for that.
But as we see the importance of the issue, we will have to replicate your system environment and test the whole package there. As soon as the environment is ready, we should be able to reproduce the error and let you know about further steps.

Best regards,
Pascal

Nov 29, 2006 at 10:09 AM
Hi Pascal

I have managed to resolve the issue by moving the virtual directory to another website.

A mismatch was caused previously by specifying an ASP.NET 2.0 virtual directory on a website running an application running ASP.NET 1.1.

The application now runs as expected. Case closed.
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2006 at 3:58 PM
Dear user
glad to kwow, you managed to resolve the problem! That saves us a lot of time...

Best regards,
Pascal