Several Sites

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 18, 2008 at 12:47 PM
Hi,
I am trying to setup 2 distinct (no shared users, content, etc.) sites on one hosted site. e.g.
1) main in root www.fred.com/
2) second in www.fred.com/second/

I have got 1), main, to work but not second,
I have tried putting them in 2 sub folders i.e. main in www.fred.com/main/ , it didn't work but I am not sure if it would? if so how?

I think it may require setting up the web.config correctly but I am new to ASP .NET.
I have searched the site but I am still not sure if this is even possible? can it be done with the new 1.2 beta?

Thanks
Tom
Mar 18, 2008 at 4:58 PM
Hello
This is a IIS question. You have to setup the subfolder as an application.
Mar 18, 2008 at 7:17 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2008 at 7:20 PM
Hi,
I had to make the App_Data folder an application to get the single root install to work. I get an error (only get "An unknown error occured." great!) when I try to setup second as an application? I can setup second/App_Data as an application.

Also when I access the second website it is using the main ones setup? i.e. the are the same. but only when I delete the web.config file.

Is it possible to do what I want?

(btw my hosting is by 1and1)

Thanks
Tom
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2008 at 2:03 PM
Hi Tom

As rickardmagnusson pointed out, your directories must be configured as applications. But instead of making the App_Data folders an application you should rather configure the "main" and the "second" folders as applications. This should work, I did this for a recent installation myself (but I had full access to the IIS - don't know if 1and1 allow you to make applications).

Cheers
Matthias