Contact Me Error...Gmail?

Topics: User Forum
Jan 31, 2008 at 10:00 PM
I use gmail and I'm assuming I've set everything up correctly in the CMS setup page.

I have:

smtp-server: smtp.gmail.com
smtpuser: username
smtp-domain: gmail.com

On the contact me page I have:

To: myemail@gmail.com

Whenever I try to send an e-mail it says, "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"

Thoughts or ideas?
Feb 1, 2008 at 12:49 PM
Hi phikai

Gmail's outgoing smtp requires authentification, SSL and specific port numbers.

Outgoing is port 465 - for further information please look at:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77661
Feb 1, 2008 at 1:44 PM
Is there a way to make gmail work with the kit? Do I need to set up this stuff in the web.config?
Feb 2, 2008 at 4:33 PM
I'm trying to set it up by using my GoDaddy e-mail account. But I'm still getting the same message...any thoughts?
Feb 2, 2008 at 4:33 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2008 at 4:18 PM
Duplicate
Feb 4, 2008 at 2:49 PM
Here's how I have it set up, using Godaddy:

mail sender address: youremail@yourgodaddyaddress.com
smtp-server relay-hosting.secureserver.net
smtp user: (blank)
smtp password: (blank)
smtp domain: secureserver.net

This is assuming your godaddy email account is set up correctly -- as long as you can send and receive on it using godaddy webmail, you should be fine. Also, the mwpsk in question should also be hosted on godaddy -- I don't think godday will let you use their smtp servers otherwise. good luck.
Feb 4, 2008 at 4:16 PM
It's working with those settings, Thanks Carl.

I'm a bit confused as to why, as that isn't the smtp-server that I see when I configured my e-mail, but o well.

Also, the e-mails are going to my gmail account (assuming this is a product of the CC setting I have when I set up the godaddy account), but they aren't ending up on the godaddy account when I log in there.

The mail messages are also pretty slow to arrive, about 10 minutes. I mean thats not ridiculous, but just seems longer than it should be.

Thanks, and if you have any thoughts on those things I would love to hear them.

~Kai
Feb 4, 2008 at 4:16 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2008 at 4:17 PM
Duplicate
Feb 4, 2008 at 4:46 PM
Glad to hear it's working.

Do you have your godaddy account set to forward or CC messages to your gmail account, or do you have your gmail account set to retrieve godaddy emails via pop3? If it is the latter, then there is a setting in gmail under Settings > Accounts > Get email from other accounts > edit info > Leave a copy of the retrieved message on the server. If this is unchecked (default) then that would explain why the messages aren't in the godaddy inbox.

If you're having godaddy forward or cc to gmail, there may be a similar setting on the godaddy side to delete the message from the godaddy inbox once it has been forwarded. I personally prefer to have gmail pull messages off godaddy via pop3 -- and I too experience the delivery delay you mentioned. I think this has to do with Gmail not continually checking these pop3 accounts (it will show you the last time it checked for mail under the settings > accounts) plus, godaddy probably doesn't have the fastest turnaround on delivering messages to their mailboxes.

hope this helps and good luck
Feb 4, 2008 at 8:51 PM
I figured out why the e-mail was "appearing" to be funky. Turns out I changed the administration settings to the GoDaddy information, but I left the Contact Me settings sending e-mail to gmail account. Its working fine.

The reason GoDaddy isn't even getting the e-mail is because it's going straight to my gmail account via GoDaddy's SMTP servers.
Feb 6, 2008 at 12:27 AM
Yes this is tacking over this tread sorry but realated..

I'm just trying to take a sample of the contact page in a .net and use it for GODADDY site.. as i had an old .asp (not the c thing that they use) and they have changed something and broke 2 of my contact pages.. little mad so i called and they gave me no help to why all of a sudden it doens't work.. "everything has green lights here and it all works at my end" they tell me

So any help would be great

p.s i'm not a programmer..

Thanks

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:22 PM
Sorry, but I haven't had any problems with my godaddy email either. Are you using the mwpsk contact form? If so, try posting what you have in your smtp settings. Also, I'm assuming you can email directly to the godaddy email address that you have in the contact form settings. That would narrow it down to being just a godaddy issue, and not a mwpsk configuration issue.
Jun 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM
Does anyone have experience with GMail or GMX (Freemail) ?

At Gmail i get a timeout (after enabling ssl no port 465) and at GMX get the following exception:
 Mailbox unavailable. The Server respone was: 5.1.8 Only registrated user are allowed to use this system {mp001}
Jun 25, 2008 at 7:48 PM
I'm using GoDaddy and have my SMTP set up like this:

mail sender address: email@mydomain.com

However, when I test my contact form and try to submit it with my hotmail.com account I get this error:

Mailbox name not allowed. The server response was: sorry, your mail was administratively denied. (#5.7.1)

It works with my gmail account and work email account.  Any ideas why it's not working with hotmail?

Thanks in advance,
Jun 27, 2008 at 4:42 PM

been wrote:

However, when I test my contact form and try to submit it with my hotmail.com account I get this error:

Mailbox name not allowed. The server response was: sorry, your mail was administratively denied. (#5.7.1)

It works with my gmail account and work email account.  Any ideas why it's not working with hotmail?

Thanks in advance,

Read the last post in this link http://forums.iis.net/p/1150022/1872372.aspx it explains why it doesn't work:  Essentially it has to do with Reverse PTR and SPF that hotmail has set up on their servers.  This has nothing to do with MWPSK.  The SMTP setting I have set for GoDaddy work, but are denied by hotmail.  I also confirmed this with GoDaddy tech support.

HTH

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:40 PM

been wrote:

been wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Read the last post in this link http://forums.iis.net/p/1150022/1872372.aspx it explains why it doesn't work:  Essentially it has to do with Reverse PTR and SPF that hotmail has set up on their servers.  This has nothing to do with MWPSK.  The SMTP setting I have set for GoDaddy work, but are denied by hotmail.  I also confirmed this with GoDaddy tech support.

HTH

Taking the advice of the post, changing 4 lines in ContactForm.ascx.cs to the following worked for me:

protected void btnSubmit_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        if (Session["ContactFormSent"] == null)
        {
            Page.Validate(ID);
            if (Page.IsValid)
            {
                WebSite _website = WebSite.GetInstance();
                MailMessage mail;
                if (txtName.Text.Trim() != string.Empty)
                {
                    mail = new MailMessage(new MailAddress("youremail@host.com","Name of Your Website"), new MailAddress(_section.EmailTo,_section.EmailTo));
                }
                else
                {
                    mail = new MailMessage("youremail@host.com", _section.EmailTo);
                }

if (_section.EmailCc.Trim() != string.Empty)
                    mail.CC.Add(_section.EmailCc);
                mail.ReplyTo = new MailAddress(txtEmailFrom.Text.Trim()) ;
                mail.SubjectEncoding = Encoding.UTF8;
                mail.Subject = _section.Subject;
                mail.BodyEncoding = Encoding.UTF8;
                mail.IsBodyHtml = false;
                mail.Body = "From: " + txtEmailFrom.Text.Trim()+ "    " + txtMessage.Text.Trim();
                SmtpClient client = new SmtpClient(_website.SmtpServer);

That way the from email is always the same(just don't use an aol or hotmail address), you can use the reply to and get the correct address and the body of the email also lists the contact email...

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:02 AM
Edited Aug 6, 2008 at 3:54 AM
I had a question but as usual, ended up resolving it, but for the record wanted to add that where you make the changes in the above response, like this for example: ("youremail@host.com","Name of Your Website"), you should actually be bright enough to change it to your actual 'real' details like say:

("johnny@boxhead.com","Johnny Boxhead's Website"), <----That is 100% Fictitious of course, it's just so you don't copy and paste the youremail@host.com and forget to change it, like er....someone who will remain nameless :-(
Nov 4, 2008 at 10:18 PM
Oh the elation, the joy, the indescribable sense of moving forward with this project!!! Thank you 26AS5DB and Tailwag. I've been knawing on this problem, talking to godaddy customer support, and trying to figure out how to do the above for several weeks! -- I'm not a programmer, and really needed this explained. Again, thank you, you've made my day!
Jun 21, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Hi,

I have been trying to use my contact form with a Gmail Account can some one help me how to use it with the mwpsk 1.2.1 or later versions.

Thank you

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:51 PM

The problem is googlemail uses ssl and a different port then normal.

I have made an easy control that allows you change the email account settings at the top of its .cs file.

Contains field length validation and uses the antibotimage.

Please feel free to use it in your website.

It can be downloaded HERE