Server Error "/" Configuration error

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 27, 2007 at 1:10 PM
I have tried to deploy MWPSK many times now and keep getting the same error:

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Access to the path 'd:\hosting\cruzt\App_Data\Roles.config' is denied.

Source Error:

Line 50: <providers>
Line 51: <clear/>
Line 52: <add name="CustomRoleProvider" type="MyWebPagesStarterKit.Providers.CustomRoleProvider"/>
Line 53: </providers>
Line 54: </roleManager>

Source File: d:\hosting\cruzt\web.config Line: 52

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832

I am using WindowsXP, SP2 , VisualStudio2005. I have tried it by just uploading the files into the Host FTP Site (GoDaddy.Com), have also tried it by deploying it first locally and then moving the files to the Host, have also tried it with the AppData folder empty , and always get the same error.... I called GoDaddy.com Tech Support and made sure the AppData folder has Write permissions granted to the ASPNET user..... nothing seems to work. Can anybody please give me some ideas as to why I keep getting this error constantly?
I would love to be able to get this Site going for once.
Thanks,
Tcruz345
Nov 27, 2007 at 3:56 PM
You probably need to give full control to the network service account. Also, bear in mind that you need to run the application with medium trust and they may not allow it.

If you look in your local documentation it is explained for you.

Regards

J5
Dec 6, 2007 at 3:14 PM
I went into every file of the Kit and made sure the ASP.NET user was set and granted read/write permissions. I also setup user Network Service with Full rights.
I called godaddy.com and assured me that the site has Medium Trust set already. I have uninstalled the kit and downloaded it again. I have followed every process and every step.
I still get the following error when I launch the URL:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Access to the path 'd:\hosting\cruzt\App_Data\Roles.config' is denied.

Source Error:

Line 50: <providers>
Line 51: <clear/>
Line 52: <add name="CustomRoleProvider" type="MyWebPagesStarterKit.Providers.CustomRoleProvider"/>
Line 53: </providers>
Line 54: </roleManager>

Source File: d:\hosting\cruzt\web.config Line: 52

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832

Am I the only person getting this error ? Is there anything else I should be doing besides what I have done so far based on the Documentation provided with the Kit. ?
This is an awesome kit; it would be frustrating not being able to use it because I am missing something else.
Please reply.
Thanks,
Tcruz
Dec 6, 2007 at 9:10 PM
Honestly, switch hosting... I've just had too many problems with GoDaddy in the past to use them as a host. I've so far hosted at CrystalTech hosting and DailyRazor without any issues or configuration headaches.

Anyway, you should check directory permissions, the ASP.Net user and/or Network Service account need Read/Write/Modify permission to the App_Data directory as a whole, not just each file. And remember, a lot of the config files don't even exist until the site is ran for the first time.
Dec 6, 2007 at 11:18 PM

cheezist wrote:
Honestly, switch hosting... I've just had too many problems with GoDaddy in the past to use them as a host. I've so far hosted at CrystalTech hosting and DailyRazor without any issues or configuration headaches.

As a user of CommunityServer, and a regular on thier forums, I've seen countless users have nothing but problems with GoDaddy.. and support leaves alot to be desired. I hosted everything with Crystaltech; both, CommunityServer and MWPSK, and have had no problems, whatsoever. I don't have any agenda to promote CT... just that, based on what I've read from others, I wouldn't go near GoDaddy.

Your problem must be directory/file permission thing and they're not helping you.

D
Dec 10, 2007 at 2:51 PM
What an amazing thing: I switched Hosting to DailyRazor and what a difference !!!!!!! I didn't have to do any settings at all. I just uploaded the files and I could open my site in no time !!!!!!
Their technical support is very good and efficient. Their Sales team need some sales and people skills but that's not my issue anymore !!
I recommend DailyRazor and this MWPSK rocks !!!!
Thanks!
Tcruz

-

cheezist wrote:

Anyway, you should check directory permissions, the ASP.Net user and/or Network Service account need Read/Write/Modify permission to the App_Data directory as a whole, not just each file. And remember, a lot of the config files don't even exist until the site is ran for the first time.