Gallery Question

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:54 PM
Is there a way to not allow downloads of the images in the gallery?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Nov 4, 2007 at 2:29 PM

JemAs wrote:
Is there a way to not allow downloads of the images in the gallery?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

In \SectionControls\Gallery.ascx line 110 : <p><asp:HyperLink runat="server" Text="download" ID="lnkDownload"></asp:HyperLink></p> change this line to:
<p><asp:HyperLink runat="server" Text="" ID="lnkDownload"></asp:HyperLink></p>

But it is still possible to download with right mouse button save picture as.......
Nov 5, 2007 at 2:59 PM
Perfect. Thank you much for your reply Hmyrstad.
Jan 4, 2008 at 7:19 PM
Edited Jan 4, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Hmyrstad wrote:

But it is still possible to download with right mouse button save picture as.......
{quote}

I have some Java code that'll get rid of that pesky "Right" click problem, but I don't know how well it'll work with this code.

on to another issue, though; since this seems to be the closest one to a problem I'm having with the "Gallery."

when uploading my images to the site, the images are doubled up in my "App_Data" folder; is there a reason for this? I have the original image, then one with (1) at the end of the file name; both being identical in sizes and weight, too. Plus; there's no existence of any thumbnail images in any of the folders; so my 4MB to 8MB images are what have to load for anyone to view the pages I create for my galleries. My upload's only 768Kb, so this could take a while for a gallery containing more than one image. I know I can minimize the size and weight of the images, but that reduces the quality of the images also; i'd rather have the quality stay for the download, and use reduced images for the gallery.
Is there a way to change up the dowload location, and use larger files; then use a different folder for the reduced image sizes??

Thank you to all that give their support.
Jan 5, 2008 at 4:26 PM

ed82264 wrote:

Hmyrstad wrote:

I have some Java code that'll get rid of that pesky "Right" click problem, but I don't know how well it'll work with this code.

on to another issue, though; since this seems to be the closest one to a problem I'm having with the "Gallery."

when uploading my images to the site, the images are doubled up in my "App_Data" folder; is there a reason for this? I have the original image, then one with (1) at the end of the file name; both being identical in sizes and weight, too. Plus; there's no existence of any thumbnail images in any of the folders; so my 4MB to 8MB images are what have to load for anyone to view the pages I create for my galleries. My upload's only 768Kb, so this could take a while for a gallery containing more than one image. I know I can minimize the size and weight of the images, but that reduces the quality of the images also; i'd rather have the quality stay for the download, and use reduced images for the gallery.
Is there a way to change up the dowload location, and use larger files; then use a different folder for the reduced image sizes??

Thank you to all that give their support.
{quote}

If you upload pictures twice with the same name you will get the same name with(1), or if you upload two different pictures with the same name
Jan 5, 2008 at 7:28 PM
Edited Jan 5, 2008 at 8:10 PM

If you upload pictures twice with the same name you will get the same name with(1), or if you upload two different pictures with the same name

It's not that i'm uploading pictures with the same name; all my pictures have different names (Titles & Comments) to them - all the pictures, no matter what they are, upload with a duplicate to them. example: picture001.jpg, uploads to the "App_Data/Dowloads" directory with the original file name, and then a duplicate of picture001(1).jpg - same thing with picture002.jpg, picture003.jpg, and so on...
My pictures, at the minimum, are 4MB and for them to be viewed on any other computer (over the internet) it takes more time for these images to load, than it would a smaller (modified) size of the image.

Does not the upload take a thumbnail image, store it somewhere, to be the one for viewing over the internet?

if that's not the case; is there a way i can modify the code to change the directoy of where the download files would be? If i could do that, then the uploaded files can be smaller than the original files that I would have for the downloads.

Thanks again
Jan 7, 2008 at 5:01 AM
Edited Jan 7, 2008 at 5:08 AM
To the original question,

Can you protect your images from being down loaded.

The Short Answer NO.

I've been a web developer for almost 10 years and I can get any image I want from a web page if it is a normal image file (gif, jpg, png,bmp)

The obvious is the Right Click / Save Image As

If this is disabled, you can usually use the View / View Source in IE (The other browsers have a similar function).

If that doesn't work, try using File / Save As/ Website Complete

(There are more those are just off the top of my head.)

I have a client who has a childrens hockey team and he wanted his players photos protected against downloading by web surfers (he is concerned about the kids safety from child predators) anyways I found the most reliable way to put up an image gallery and not have it downloadable was to use FLASH to display the images. (Flash has a setting to disallow downlaoding <stealing>) That site on top of that requires a login so I can't give a sample there.

However you can try to download images from another site where I use a FLASH gallery.

http://WhoIsChadRissanen.com (this is a version 1.0 which will be scrapped soon in favor of combining what I have there with MWPK

FLASH installs into MWPK easily, There are many free and professional slideshows (photo galleries) available, they do not require you to even have FLASH.